Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Kickstarter to fund Quick and Dirty Map Tutorials Book!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Hmmmm. I guess this KS will ahve success but doubt my stretchgoal of 20k will be reached. Well, I dont wnat to be negative but are you sure about this wide range of Goals? Some of the intermediate Goals sounds similar to me, also I would rework the stretchgoal map with some more details maybe.

Do you ahve already a setup for the Pledge-Levels?

I'll PM you a link to the preview version of the Kickstarter page. However, I have more confidence in achieving the higher numbers of the stretch goals. In fact, I've left some room at the center of the map to post additional stretch goals in $35,000+ range if there is a need. I have at least 2 major bloggers who tell me they plan to SPAM the world about this Kickstarter and it's updates. Of course, as mentioned previously, I have a full page full color ad appearing in Gygax magazine that is being released on the same day as this Kickstarter, and I believe that will lead to a large number of contributors by itself. I have little doubt that your particular stretch goal will be funded as well.

Consider my Kaidan Kickstarter I ran last summer... Kaidan is Pathfinder, feudal Japan and horror, making it niche-niche-niche, yet it still earned almost $10K in a similar funding period. This Kickstarter applies to most any RPG game and genre - it's far less niche than Kaidan had been. I'd be very surprised if it didn't earn twice what the Kaidan Kickstarter acquired in funding.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I think it's good that you are prepared for over-funding, I've pledged on a couple of KS campaigns that got way more money than the creators thought, causing lots of extra work for them and probably, though I don't know yet, delivery delays. On the other hand… maybe it's just me, but when a campaign announces stretch goals before the initial goal is met, it feels kinda like when a game developer announces DLC before the game is released, if the video game metaphor works around here. Not trying to give you advice on something I don't understand, just offering a thought

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I think, if he predicts more Stretchgoals to be archieve than the initial Run, than thats fine. I dont think its like DLC for games, but more like a promise, that if people are willing to reach a goal, it shall be rewarded with extra books/chapters/material, instead of *just* sitting and getting the money into the pocket without further benefits for the Pledgers. Also, I do think, a solid plan makes a project attractive and generate a Fanbase. I will prepare some Material for my stretchegoal so the people can see what they will getting.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Since kickstaters have one month deadline, I'm kind of suprised that the materials of the stretchgoals aren't ready yet, at the start. o-O

Kickstarter funding is anywhere between 1 and 90 days (not just 30 days), but that's funding only, not the time of product release. The scheduled release date of the project for this publication is 1 year from the end of the Kickstarter, and I'm stating August 2014 as the scheduled release date. Some Kickstarters are set up to put up the cost of printing or some other financial need to already finished work, but that's not the case for most projects, nor with this one. Often a Kickstarter can help determine whether a given project should be pursued at all, as if to suggest that if there's no audience to pay for it's creation, then perhaps the interest isn't there and your project shouldn't be created - as to say the idea is just not financially viable. Why spend 6 months writing tutorials if nobody wants it enough to pay for it.

Of course, we can all agree that people are indeed interested in cartographic tutorials - part of the reason for the existence and success of the Cartographers' Guild itself relies on that fact. In my case, I have about half the tutorials for the first book already created in rough draft form. I actually have a couple tutorials done intended for the advanced tutorials book and the other books as well, but no where near completion. I know I can create these tutorials fairly fast, so I'm not worried that they don't currently fully exist with just days away to the start of the Kickstarter. I've participated in a couple Kickstarters as a contributor, and even participated as part of the design team for another, and technically speaking none of the products from those Kickstarters have been released yet.

@Max - I'm surprised to see that you'd think it would already be done prior to the start of a Kickstarter. I know of no Kickstarters where the material was ready prior to the start of a Kickstarter campaign.

I actually plan to be able to release at least the first book in 6 months from the end of Kickstarter funding, well ahead of the scheduled release. though I predict if most or all of the stretch goals are achieved, it will take the full year to release them all.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-31-2013 at 12:36 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post

@Max - I'm surprised to see that you'd think it would already be done prior to the start of a Kickstarter. I know of no Kickstarters where the material was ready prior to the start of a Kickstarter campaign.
    That's probably because working as graphic/layout designer for a RPG company, I'm used to work on short deadlines after some announcement. Usually when we announce a game release, we'll publish it in the next month., but that's probably different for kickstarters indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    That's probably because working as graphic/layout designer for a RPG company, I'm used to work on short deadlines after some announcement. Usually when we announce a game release, we'll publish it in the next month., but that's probably different for kickstarters indeed.
    Which is the difference between a Kickstarter and a product release - they are nothing like each other. A Kickstarter is not an announcement of a game release, rather it's an announcement of initial development of a project. It's stating, "I have a cool project I'd like to produce, but I have no idea if there really is a market for it. So in order to know whether there is, we've set up a Kickstarter with a goal of several products for X dollars to be collected within a specific funding period. If it's successfully funded, then we know you want it, so now it will be created."

A product announcement means you've got a production process already in the works, or even the bulk of the work complete, and we expect a release date on such-and-such a time. A Kickstarter is nothing like that.

I create plenty of low budget products out of pocket with no need nor intent of using Kickstarter to fund it. I only use the patron funding system for projects with high dollar costs involved. Printing full color 250 books is expensive, and part of my goal is to see these products being sold in chain book stores, individual bookstores, in addition to Amazon, DrivethruRPG and the usual sources.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 07-31-2013 at 01:01 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

I wouldn't say that our RPG book prints is some kind of low budget products lol but I get your point about the kickstarter.

Low budget doesn't mean 'cheap', it means I can afford to create something and pay for it in-house. Anything that is under 30 pages, even with full color illustrations and maps in print and PDF falls under low budget to me. A full adventure of 96 pages or more, setting guide, or as in this case, several full length manuals is too costly for me to risk as out of pocket expense - anything that costs $1000 or more is too much for my budget.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast