Thread: How to start doing commissions?

Question How to start doing commissions?

I posted my most recent map on Reddit and to my surprise, somebody PMed me asking if I'd be willing to do a commission to make a map.

This, of course, surprised me. I've never seen cartography as more than a fun little hobby but the idea of doing it for some payment is really interesting. However, I've never done anything for commission, and have both no idea what I should charge, and where I can seek clients otherwise.

Any advice?

There have been a ton of conversations on here about this over the years and it seems to come up again and again. If you look at the "Mapmaking Requests" thread you will see the kinds of information artists need and maybe some small idea of what gets accepted (especially when the requester says how much they have to spend). Obviously the amount you charge depends often on how established you are and how you look at your artwork. The more in demand you become the higher you must charge just because you will have to somehow say 'NO' to a number or requests, simply because you only have so many hours in a day. Regular supply and demand. That said, if you are going to make a living from making art you have to charge a rate that will allow you to survive in life. So do the math and if the hourly rate isn't sustainable then it's not viable. If you just want to do it for fun charge what you feel comfortable with. The more you do the more you get a feel for what is right.

I'd say more but I'm at work and need to get back to it but if you dig around in the thread search tools you should be able to dig up some very long threads about this subject.
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 05-16-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks for the post

I searched and read through a bunch of threads but they seem to be mostly about how much to charge and such with the assumption you'll be sought out for work. I was more wondering if there were any other places than here to advertise, and how you can get more clients as a 'rookie' cartographer. While I think I am fairly skilled, I'm still not much compared to many here, and it can be difficult getting a client when there are so many other talented cartographers clamoring in the commissions section.

Yeah, that can be true I guess, but no two artists are the same so its reasonable that you should be able to build up fans of your work so long as you keep at it. I don't know that I have an answer for you on that.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I have been hanging out in a writers forum and over time have been able start working drawing maps for their game books. Doing the work on the cheep to build up word of mouth and now see the others becoming interested. I am no expert but I think if you find your niche and stay consistent the business side of things will grow over time.