Thread: Continent Placement Help

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected TempyTheCleric's Avatar

Question Continent Placement Help

So, I believe this is where i would place this question. But i have having difficulty with this maps placement of the 3 continents i have. Any suggestions? (I'm adding a screen cap of what i have started. Normally i have something drawn out -but currently i am just experimenting with Photoshop)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contonents.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	179.9 KB 
ID:	55353

They look reasonable to me, but I'm not renowned for my artistic sensibilities. You'll need to decide why you're doing this map and fill in some details like mountains and rivers before I can say much at all.

A semi-random mountain placement and a bit of post-processing might look like the attached (sorry, but I've been programming too much and have a hard time letting mask outlines slip by).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	contonents_1.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	55354
    Last edited by waldronate; 06-14-2013 at 03:52 AM.

Waldronate - hey that looks pretty cool! Thanks for the input. I have spent the last hour or so playing around and i think i finally have something i'm proud of. But thank you so much for taking the time to respond and help!

Are they coming together or splitting apart? If apart, I'd expect better matches between coastlines. Of course, the question itself presupposes this is on a globe with plate tectonics, which need not be true.

You'll probably also want to sprinkle some islands in there as well. Just three large continents seems pretty odd, unless there's a very specific reason for it (e.g., the world is a battle ground between three gods, each of which made his own continent).

Rdanhenry - that exactly what i took to mind when i started my WIP - i made a two continent layout that look way more natural. As if the had split apart over time! And yes they are specifically designed to be without islands you can check out the WIP with my link in the sig.

Thank you for your reply!!