Thread: Hello Everyone

Default Hello Everyone

Hi. I am a cartographer who specializes in maps of real-life locations. I especially love street maps (roads fascinate me!). I live in a semi-rural part of West Virginia, where my interests don't fit in well and I am much of an outcast. I am only in high school, but I am working for the Morgan County government to help improve online maps such as Google and Mapquest, which were horrendously wrong before I started making corrections using Map Maker and Navteq Map Reporter. I helped Morgan County to start a program called Get on the Map, which aims to make such improvements, and we hope to soon spread to other parts of West Virginia. I have a geographically-oriented memory - I can memorize locations, roads and directions with ease (I can give you directions from Shepherdstown to Wheeling entirely from memory). I also know a lot of trivia about roads in West Virginia, such as how the bizarre fractional numbering system works.

Hopefully, I will soon post a complete map of Morgan County here on this forum.

My Map Maker profile: Salman

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected TempyTheCleric's Avatar

Welcome Salman!

Guild Novice

Wow. That is an intense career history for high school. That is amazing. Congrats.

Welcome to the Guild ZJSalman! Yes, please post up your Morgan County work soon. It's rare that we see real life maps being put to actual use here at the Guild. Look forward to getting to know you. While your interests may not be widely shared in West Virginia, I think you will find that they are right at home here.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh