Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The World of Avon Arret

Guild Apprentice

now that's looking sexy amazing how bit of contrast can have such a massive effect. how about some underwater detail, with very low opacity. Just to imply that its there

Very nice job on the color palette and texture of the land masses, looks very nice. My only real nitpick would be the rivers. They are too wide (and not tapered enough) for this scale. Also the bevel on the rivers looks a bit odd to my eyes. Not sure what I'd suggest to improve that though. Otherwise looking great.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

@Lingon

I do intend to add border lines and name some various areas(obviously with the color scheme and the type of map it is it might be better if i just make an entirely different map for it)

@londonsmee

I did have a texture of the sea floor and such in the first map update but several people i showed the map(who were not on the forums) said that it just looked like blue land rather then water(also admittedly this was with a high opacity rather then a low one but im not sure if it would work even on low)

and Finally arsheesh thank you for the kind words, yeah the rivers were rather difficult for me to do as well and the only way that i could work out how to do them and make them look as if they were not just blue lines was to use the bevel/emboss, and I basically just went and said F-It to trying to do them, which obviously isn't a good attitude to have when making a map but i feel it is too late to do anything about it now, i will endeavor to do better with my next map.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawningwhispers View Post
    @Lingon

I do intend to add border lines and name some various areas(obviously with the color scheme and the type of map it is it might be better if i just make an entirely different map for it)
    Labeling such a map is possible with varied colors and smooth and light outerglow. Souldn't be that hard after a few tries on colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawningwhispers View Post
    I basically just went and said F-It to trying to do them, which obviously isn't a good attitude to have when making a map
    Indeed but yea didn't really what's your workflow, Do yo have rivers on a seperate layer by a chance?

Yeah i have the rivers on a separate layer (kind of) by choice, mostly its because I tend to do my maps in a series of stages(base black and white image and positioning, oceans and bodies of water then land and its texture's colors including placing the mountains and then rivers) this is actually the first time i did rivers using this method its also the first time I've ever done ice caps at all. i do know there are other ways of doing rivers(including the many tutorials on this very site) but i tend to get slightly impatient at times when reading them(and then having to re-read the entire thing again and again because i forget a step)
    which is one reason why my river look out of place and the mountains being really kind of flat.

as for the labeling i seem to be doing fine with black text and a gold border on the text and black with a white border for when the gold isn't enough(as in the desert)

I do apologize that i haven't given much information about how i make the map or anything it just comes down to the fact that most of what i do is explained in the tutorials o nthe site and what isn't done in the tutorials is me just messing around to see what I can get.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12