Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Map -- Tibov and surrounding area (Regional)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aminowrimo View Post
    I could always run a noise filter over it and then make the coastline more random and less blocky... I just forgot to do it before. Is that what you meant?
    Yeah pretty much I just wasn't sure what kind of tools you have at your disposal and it sounds like you've got all you need. A blur might work, followed by threshold adjustment, or noise, or even hand-drawing. Are you working in Photoshop?

cheers,
    Meshon

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected aminowrimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Yeah pretty much I just wasn't sure what kind of tools you have at your disposal and it sounds like you've got all you need. A blur might work, followed by threshold adjustment, or noise, or even hand-drawing. Are you working in Photoshop?
    I'm working with GIMP, but I can usually figure out how to duplicate some Photoshop effect. The way I've been doing it is Filters > Noise > Pick then Gaussian Blur at 3.0 or so then Threshold Adjustment. It works well at non-huge sizes. XD

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tibov_etc_wip_4.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	55562

Done adding the rivers, though I'd like more fresh water in the peninsula. Any idea how I could get that over there?

As you can see I'm trying to change the mountains to match the style of the hills, though as they're all on one layer it's taking a while.
    Last edited by aminowrimo; 06-22-2013 at 06:39 PM. Reason: updated picture, but too minor for another post

Nice changes you've made! I can't recall a peninsula with a river down the middle but maybe it could be like a delta. That would allow you to get more fresh water in there. Perhaps something like this?

Name:	tibov_etc_wip_4 viking modded.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	947.1 KB 
ID:	55564 I added the hills to justify the odd route for the river. You could also add a lake somewhere.

Thanks, Viking, for that! However, I've got polar ice right to the south of the southernmost mountain (shown in white):

Name:	tibov_etc_wip_4 viking modded.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	55567

I'm pretty sure the river wouldn't continue to flow in that case.

lol no maybe not. That said, many streams do form from glacier melt water. If the glacier is stable (not receding or growing) it is just melting at the same rate it is being formed at.

So what you're saying is I could keep that river you drew without being unrealistic?

Possibly yes, though you'd want to significantly reduce the width or size of the river lol. You wouldn't necessarily see a river on a glacier or anything either but glaciers do have tiny streams running through them at times if there is enough melting going on. What may happen is a number of these tiny streams coming out of the glaciered up area would eventually form a significant river. You could possibly have the portion of that river from the south be more full of water in summer months and dwindle in size and flow significantly in winter months.
    Check out melt water
    Last edited by Viking; 06-23-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: edited for spelling

Glaciers also may have rivers flowing below them, but I don't know how stable those may be.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Very fast pace learning curve here, Amino. Its interesting to watch the Progress here.
    I agree that there are rivers still in frozen zones, shifting with the seasons

Whats the Purpose of your World?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast