Thread: Free mapping software

Guild Novice

Question Free mapping software

I am currently working on the main culture of my world, but I made the maps in Paint. Knowing that Paint is very basic and because I feel the pinch, I am looking for free software to create my maps properly. Do you know such programs? Thanks in advance.

Revuscuan

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

If you are looking for decent free software that you can use for creating maps, I am not too sure you can beat Gimp and Inkscape. These are the open source versions of Photoshop and Illustrator respectively. I know we have some tutorials for Inkscape and Gimp is very well supported in our Tutorials forum. I also suggest that you start WIPs (Work In Progress) for any maps that you are working on. You should get a lot of help through the C&C that the Guild can provide.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Apprentice

Krita is also getting a lot of attention lately, although finding a Windows download took far too much effort. It's free, cross platform and open source - and it feels a bit more Photoshop-like than GIMP which may be a plus or a minus in your book.

Guild Novice

Thanks, I will try to upload an example of my Paint map of Morania, the now most detailed region, if you don't mind.

Adjustment : Uploaded in WIP thread
    Last edited by Revuscuan; 06-18-2013 at 03:55 PM.