Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Grid Cartographer

Guild Apprentice

Info Grid Cartographer

Hi, my name is David Walters I'm an independent game and software developer from the UK.

I've recently released a program called Grid Cartographer. I developed it originally as a mapping tool for cRPG games such as Wizardry and Might and Magic. It has been well received by the RPG community with a number of features being added after it's initial release. I'm now starting to look beyond that audience and into the broader realm of map making - making good strides towards that with the recent addition of custom tiles and exporting maps to image files.

I'm posting here as it may be of some interest to those of you who wish to develop maps in a grid and tile based manner. Perhaps to rapidly block out low resolution maps (in comparison to some of the beautiful illustrations I've seen on this forum) for your own computer or tabletop role playing game.

Anyway, here is a link: Grid Cartographer.com

I'm very keen to get feedback on my software and thanks to everyone who give it a try!

edit: Here's an example of the sort of thing you can make with it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grimrock-680px.jpg 
Views:	874 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	55472
    Last edited by Hidden Asbestos; 09-17-2020 at 06:08 PM.

I've been using the Pro version for a few days now. "Thanks" is such a small word for developing a functional, easy to use and tremendously useful piece of software.

But, thanks.

I finally got around to registering on the Guild to say that.

Guild Apprentice

Hey everyone, it's been quite a while since I posted here but I've just released v1.3.8 of Grid Cartographer.

Grab the update / free edition here: Grid Cartographer | David Walters Development

Here's the full list of changes:

* ADDED: New 'start' screen with quick access to recent files and new map type selection.
    * ADDED: 30 x 30 major grid lines setting for The Bard's Tale.
    * ADDED: Per-map file saving of block-based / edge-based setting. To make switching games easier.

* PRO: Rotate and Flip actions (and keyboard shortcuts) now work when pasting and moving regions.
    * PRO: Rotate and Flip actions are context sensitive - if you have dragged out a selection then only that region will be affected.

* CHANGED: The fill area tool now keeps the selection active, allowing you to drag it around and quickly paint several areas.

Hope you like the improvements

Guild Apprentice

v1.4.0 released!

Here's a link: Grid Cartographer | David Walters Development

Change Log:

* CHANGED: Border tool renamed 'Stroke'.
    * CHANGED: Tweaked wording of 'remove custom tile set' option.
    * CHANGED: Improved wording of exit with unsaved changes message.

* ADDED: Close button on brush selection menu.
    * ADDED: Stroke toolbar icon.

* FIXED: Limit grid and top-left origin modes didn't work together.
    * FIXED: Create border (CTRL+B) and top-left origin mode didn't work together
    * FIXED: The 'Simple block' brush was showing in colour on the toolbar.
    * FIXED: Some Windows message box icons were wrong.

hey my antivirus tells me that these page contain malware !?
    Nice dungeon map by the way.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    hey my antivirus tells me that these page contain malware !?
    Nice dungeon map by the way.
    The page? not the download? That's strange.

I'm pretty sure it's a false alarm as I've not had this reported by anyone else. Not sure what I can do about that, thanks for taking the time to let me know though, I'll look out for more reports. What antivirus software is this BTW? Maybe it doesn't like that I haven't paid to 'sign' the EXE?

Thanks for the complement on the map :-) Here's another one, this is from Wizardry 6 - imgur: the simple image sharer

edit: I uploaded the installer here and it seemed to pass all the tests: https://www.virustotal.com/uk/file/2...is/1376929714/
    Last edited by Hidden Asbestos; 08-19-2013 at 12:31 PM.

I have Bitdefender, I usually trust him but I do have problems with him from time to time. He is zealous.

Guild Apprentice

Grid Cartographer Touch is now available for Android devices from the Google Play store.

Indeed it's, easy to use. Nice software.

Guild Apprentice

Here's a sneak peek of an upcoming feature for Grid Cartographer: Labels

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TWaAnrB.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	57812

I've extended the note tool with an option to create labels that are visible directly on the map.

There's still a bit of work left to do in finishing porting this feature over to Android as well as adding labels to the map image export, but it shouldn't be too much longer before it's ready.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast