Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inn on the cliff

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    And here's a version with the first colours added!
    I'm still new here and all, but that said: this map (at this stage of development) is the nicest thing I've seen here at the Guild. Just thoroughly inviting, evocative, clearly informative and likeable.

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

Yup. Pretty much all of his stuff is. I don't think I've seen a single map come from him that wasn't.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

yaaaaaa... he has that effect on everyone ..... we're thinking of getting him cloned so he'll produce twice as many twice as fast...

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    yaaaaaa... he has that effect on everyone ..... we're thinking of getting him cloned so he'll produce twice as many twice as fast...
    Geez, why just limit it to 2 copies? If we duplicate him more times, he can create FAR more work (at least until he helps blow up the world). I remember looking this weekend and he spit out like 4 new or updated maps in around 3 hours time. A machine that one is I tell you... a machine.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

@del: yes there should be a covering of snow around, but as you say - there would be very little to see. I'm claiming there was a thaw and a freeze

@Ghalev: That's a bold statement - go and look for theRedEpic on here. He does hand-drawn way better than me. Nevertheless, I am very grateful for the compliment. That means a lot from someone of your pedigree.

@ everyone else; Thanks a lot for the compliments - apart from the cloning (and gratuitous world destruction talk) . I'm having a lot of fun fiddling with this style trying to get a few different things to work - while also getting maps out in a reasonable time. A new campaign is focussing the mind. The rest of the maps for tomorrow's game will have to be a little less finished...

However I can't help fiddling with this. You'll note the resolution dropped between the last few iterations from 3000 to 2000 px per side. My laptop was complaining. Looks like I'll have to do all the dodge/burn stuff at this scale and then resize up later

I still need to work on the trees - they are currently entirely basic and need a little TLC. I'll have a shot at it tomorrow before I go to work and post an updated WIP.

Right. I think this one is done. Some more work was done on the shadowing - especially the cliffs and around all of the stone-snow boundaries to tie the regions together a bit more. Also shadowed the trees and did the sea highlights:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StormWatchInn.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	616.4 KB 
ID:	4805

Works well at 40px per grid.

Wow, that's much higher praise than this deserves! The players are only one it for one fight

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I don't have enough superlatives for how awesome this map looks.

I think my favorite thing about it, other than everything, is the texture on the roof. Looks great.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast