Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inn on the cliff

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Wip Inn on the cliff

I'm writing an adventure for Tuesday evening - just a simple 1st level run through for a new 4e game - and the first encounter is a fight in the snow with a pack of wolves on the outskirts of a town. The town used to be large and well defended, but has shrunk over the last few decades. The outer walls have fallen into disuse and neglect and are little better than ruins. However one structure still stands outside the new town walls - the Storm's Watch Inn (thanks for the name Del!). It stands out over the cliff with a spectacular view up and down the fjord. Even though it is a good distance from the town these days it still gets regular custom. So here the initial sketch. C&C appreciated as always, though this is in a very early stage:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WolfAttack.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	4727

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

though I probably know the answer to this question.... I guess I'll be the scale police here, but..... SCALE!?!?!

and... Yer welcome on the name... cause it is a great name!! just love it myself.... i'm gonna name EVERYTHING stormwatch...!!!

Can't wait to see you put some color and texture to the map

Blog Entries

We had a december challenge where several of us done an Inn on a cliff top. Might be useful...

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1342

Ah, that was when I was having a cartography break. Missed that one. They were some really great entries! That was fun to look through. Very handy.

Okay, so I had a little more time for mapping this weekend before having to accept the week might have started. Got the basic lines in for this map and created a new background to have a shot with. Not sure how this will work with the colours, but it will be interesting to give it a shot. Hopefully the cold background colours will lend a wintry chill to it.

Name:	WolfAttack1.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	4747

Another quiet evening - now got the trees in. All elements have their own masks as well - a lot less painful this time.

Anyway, here is the map in its current lineart form:

Name:	WolfAttack2.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	4771

And here's a version with the first colours added!

Name:	WolfAttack4.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	4772

I'm betting that snow maps offer a bit of a challenge in that just by default ... show can be pretty devoid of anything, it blankets everything .... so trying to compliment an otherwise plain and uninteresting scene with enough eye candy to keep it from being 'boring' ... ooooooo..... a thought... you could easily have some interesting things 'under' the snow that are hazards the players can't readily see ....

Its looking great .. but you already know that.... I like the cool ice-octopi inhabiting the surrounding area .... oh.. wait... nm, those are trees....

Thanks. Actually the snow is proving to be a pain because light colours don't yield so well to dodge and burn. Here's the current iteration:

Name:	WolfAttack5.jpg 
Views:	608 
Size:	610.4 KB 
ID:	4784

I've got a few floating rock issues and the cliffs need quite a lot of work. A task for tomorrow now. This is proving to be harder work that I thought - but that's what I get for messing with this style. Learning some useful things though. I'll be very grateful for any C&C on this.

I thout it was ice at first....

but here's a thought.... did the wall jsut fall down on top of the snow .. I mean in a blanket of snow... most would be white capped with perhaps the lower side not facing directly up would show dark...... and the walls would have a cap of snow.... perhaps... unless its a light blanket ... because stone retains heat and would perhaps melt it but with that really nice blanket you got.... top down .... alot of it would have snow on top ... even the branches on the tree would have snow directly on top of its larger branchces

But hey .... what's the point of all that... right? just get ya a big blank white canvas and tell yer players they're in a field of snow in a snowstorm lol... so working with snow seems to have a naturally defeating effect on a map....

But I think what you got is great... but that's my C&C for which you requested

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast