Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Deserted Mines

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Okay, I pulled out the rock area, selected it and stroked it with Gimp's default pencil sketch#2 brush with a .4 jitter. I used the selection to cut out the strokes that fell within the tunnels and set the whole layer to overlay.
    As a quick suggestion - instead of stroking the selection, turn the selection into a path and stroke the path.

I have discovered that this seems to give significantly better results. (The conversion to a path does some bezier interpolations around the selection that seem to prevent some "jaggie" artifacts that stroking a selection seems to have.) Now this might not matter when the jitter is high, but try it and see if there is a difference.

-Rob A>

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    As a quick suggestion - instead of stroking the selection, turn the selection into a path and stroke the path.

I have discovered that this seems to give significantly better results. (The conversion to a path does some bezier interpolations around the selection that seem to prevent some "jaggie" artifacts that stroking a selection seems to have.) Now this might not matter when the jitter is high, but try it and see if there is a difference.

-Rob A>
    Nifty advice. I think I'll try that myself soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post

-Rob A>

Ah... yea, thats what I meant and left out. I create a path so I have it for later use in case I need it for something else I don't have to go try to get the selection right again. Did not know about some of the problems of just stroking the raw selection though, so thats good to know.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Good tip. Sadly the xcf is now on a defunct laptop so, barring resurrection, this WIP is no more. I'll have a shot at those tips over the weekend when I have roped in the work computer to mapping duty.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Good tip. Sadly the xcf is now on a defunct laptop so, barring resurrection, this WIP is no more. I'll have a shot at those tips over the weekend when I have roped in the work computer to mapping duty.

make good use of your dropbox account....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Thankfully that saved the paper I was writing, but not my maps. Priorities eh?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345