Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** June/July Lite Challenge: Alternate History ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default *** June/July Lite Challenge: Alternate History ***

This month's Lite Challenge is to create a map based on the concept of alternate history. For those that aren't familiar with the idea, here's a wiki entry on it: Alternate history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I can't imagine there's gonna be too many folks on a site like this that don't have at least some passing familiarity with it, but hey, you never know.

Let your imaginations roam free this month. Your entry can be anything from a world map to a regional or city map, a deck plan of an alternate history universe vessel, a map of an event (a battle, the spread of some alt-Black Plague, the spread of a religion, whatever), pretty much anything you can come up with as long as it's related to an alternate history concept in some way. There's no need to specify what the turning point/point of departure for your alternate history is, but you will be awarded a virtual cookie if you do. My choice of flavor.

Title each new thread June/July Lite Entry - <your title>

Precede each WIP image with the tag ### Latest WIP ###.

The challenge will end on or around the 13th of July, and the winner will receive a superb, shiny, silver compass.
    Last edited by Diamond; 06-18-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Been out of the mapping game for a while now (too busy moving house and getting settled into my new location) and this seems like the perfect theme to draw me back.

A couple of questions regarding the theme;
    * As most of the world has already been mapped, must it be remapped or can one use real-world maps for an 'underlay'? An Alternate Earth will have (mostly) the same geography as this Earth and only that which is artificial will differ.
    * When can it be set? Altenrnate Past, Present or Future?
    Last edited by Thurlor; 06-19-2013 at 06:15 AM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Very interesting challenge theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurlor View Post
    Been out of the mapping game for a while now (too busy moving house and getting settled into my new location) and this seems like the perfect theme to draw me back.
    Welcome back!

A couple of questions regarding the theme;
    * As most of the world has already been mapped, must it be remapped or can one use real-world maps for an 'underlay'? An Alternate Earth will have (mostly) the same geography as this Earth and only that which is artificial will differ.
    Not sure I understand what you're asking here. Do you mean if you map a portion of the world, can you use a base map to trace off of? Of course! If you could draw a real world map freehand you'd be my hero.
    * When can it be set? Altenrnate Past, Present or Future?
    Any time at all. Let your imagination run free, young grasshopper.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Hmm, I have some ideas that would fit in this theme… Now that I've begun entering challenges I'll never finish my other projects!

Muahahaha, our nefarious plan is a success!

It looks like the May/June entries are still hanging around in the Current Challenge space. They probably ought to wander off into a historical context...

That's OK, Waldronate - they belong to the alternate Guild where this is being started on the 18th of MAY.

I'm all over this one... if I can make up my mind just ONE thing to what-if. If you folks see multiple entries from jbgibson, the first is legit and the others are alternate-me's and are illicit in the present context.

Thurlor - alternate-past could be really easy. Say, point of departure is 200 years ago, and the map is three hundred years in THAT world's past...

@jbgibson

Easy? As in the same as our history? lol

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    It looks like the May/June entries are still hanging around in the Current Challenge space. They probably ought to wander off into a historical context...
    They'll be gone tomorrow evening after voting ends. I wanted them visible till then so folks can see what they're voting for (the threads have to be kept here so the thumb scraper picks 'em up).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast