Thread: Graticules

Help Graticules

I'm trying to add longitude and latitude graticules to a map using the Gott-Mugnolo projection from G.Projector. I don't know what the best way to go about making a path of the graticule in Illustrator or Photoshop would be. I'm looking to make it a PATH because then I can play with the stroke and size of the stroke.

I really don't want to trace the graticule by hand (like with the line tool) because I feel that is way too tedious. Also, with the size I'm working with (6000x6000), any errors will likely show. I've tried Illustrator's Live Trace but I think I'm getting the settings wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Attached is the projection I'm working on with an offset of 5 degrees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graticule.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	55454  

Blog Entries

Is there any particular reason you're using that projection?

If you just want an azimuthal projection, Stereographic is a lot easier to draw as a graticule in it is made entirely of circular arcs.

Also, if you're going for a 'two hemispheres' type map, Stereographic is the projection normally used while Gott-Mugnolo Azimuthal is a bit anachronistic. It's also typical to line up the graticule with the hemispheres in such maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Hai-Etlik View Post
    Is there any particular reason you're using that projection?
    I'm going with the Gott-Mugnolo Azimuthal mostly because I think it creates the nicest shape of my landmasses of all of the circular projections. I've tried Stereographic and Airy, and, actually, come to think of it, Azimuthal Equidistant looks nice as well and Azimuthal Equal-Area looks almost like Gott-Mugnolo.

Anyway, my problem isn't with the projection as I can get G.Projector to spit out another image based on another projection. I'm just trying to get a nice set of paths to use for the graticules so I can make them nice single lines.