Thread: The world of Aelarion

Map The world of Aelarion

Hi guys,

This map is purely a figment of my imagination, I just got into Cartography a few days ago on Photoshop and well.. this is the end result
    For a first try, I'm quite pleased with it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map.jpg 
Views:	272 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	55524

If any one could give me some feedback, that'd be great

Much appreciated,

Darkath.

It looks good, but I'd lighten the cities layer a bit more, they are much darker than everything else on the map and look like they don't quite mesh.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Very nice! I might suggest differentiating the sea from the land in some way, though I don't know if a shift in brightness or maybe some kind of texture change would be useful. You might also want to think (or have already sorted this out) about how your rivers flow. It seems they're coming from behind the mountains, rather than from within them, but it might simply be that you haven't mapped the tributaries that flow from the peaks.'

Fine work, though. And hey, welcome to the guild!

cheers,
    Meshon

Thanks Meshon

Oh sorry
    The lines were supposed to be the country borders
    I didn't add any rivers in :/

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Haha, whoops, I see! Well, rivers are sometimes borders, so you could still use them
    In that case I might suggest using a different line style for the borders. Right now they're about the same as the coastline.

cheers,
    Meshon

The map structure looks good and the mountain symbology is quite nice. Overall, it's a good rendition of pen on parchment. And for a first try, I would rate it as very good (certainly better than my first - or even recent - maps).

I find the white glow on the labels to be a bit out of place and distracting. Perhaps changing that glow color to roughly the same color as the background parchment might make it look more like the drawing strokes are leaving space for the text rather than looking as though the text was pasted on after the strokes.

As WillP suggests, working on the line and text coloring to get it more consistent across the map might give a more unified appearance. It also appears that there might be some line quality issues on there (the city symbols have a heavier line quality than the mountains, which is a little distracting).

Maybe changing the line style on the borders to dashed or some such might help a little with the confusion about rivers or not.
    Last edited by waldronate; 06-19-2013 at 08:58 PM.