Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Great War: North American Front

I did a bit more work here. Thinned out the paths the armies and navies followed and I started labeling all the battles. I also drew in the line of greatest control by the Mexican forces as well as the end result.

The bulk of the map itself is done unless I've screwed up something.
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Great War 5.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	983.0 KB 
ID:	55687

A little bit of fluff: I've added the battle flags and naval jacks to indicate who's who, and I added a border.

I still have to work on the cartouches and overall map dimensions, as well as put a compass rose.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Large Map.jpg 
Views:	313 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	55728

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Looking pretty great! Though I'm a little confused about what the big, low-opacity flags mean, since most of Mexico has an American flag on it, and USA has none – occupation zones?

By the way, if you want to have a graticule on the map, I'd guess the base map is in the Mercator projection, though I'm not sure at all so maybe not very helpful

Thanks Lingon. I will try the Mercator projection and see if I can get one to fit. I know Monterrey is located at 25N and 100W and I was going to use that as a reference point for placing the graticule.

As for the low density flags, they are the final occupation zones: The American Zone, the Brazilian Zone, and the British Zone (like what happened in Germany after WWII). I plan on explaining it in the legend. Should I lighten the flags or perhaps use a small inset map to show the final occupation zones?

I decided to leave off a projection unless I get overwhelming recomendations that I need one.

I still need to place the legend of events, but I removed the occupation zones and put them into an inset map to, hopefully, clear up any confusion.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Full Map 1.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	55747

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

That turned out really cool!

Ok, I spent the weekend without internet thanks to a lightening strike. but I did have time to do some work on this map, and I will probably evolve this to a novel at some point.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Textbook Page eight.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	55791

Nice work. There's a typo you want to correct - one of your Brazillans is a Brizallan.

I can read between the lines in this scenario. For example, between 2 and 2A was no doubt the series

4/30/17 Texas also declares war on Mexico
    4/30/17 Washington informs Texas that only the Federal government declares war.
    4/30/17 Texas cables DC "Y'all just shut up. We've got this."
    and
    5/2/17 Generalissimo Agustín Millán Vivero issues the famous telegram home "Battlefield census indicates 4 million Texicans and 12 million firearms. Send more troops."

JbGibson, I will leave the internal speculation to you. Thanks for the catch on the typo however; I'm surprised I only had one.

Here is the corrected map.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Textbook Page 8.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.48 MB 
ID:	55798

Guild Apprentice

No need to be surprised, sorry.
    Found some more, you still got an "Armistace", "Monterry" and "San Deigo" in the right column.
    (And I had some trouble noticing the blue dot for maxico city in the smaller map, maybe you want to try another colour?)

I wish I had the time to enter, I've got millions of ideas...

Edit: And some "brazillan" and "brazillian", too.
    Conversation at university while writing our group report:
    "I'll make a map." - "We don't need a map, we only interviewed some people." - " I know, but it won't stop me from making one."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast