Thread: New Cartographer

Default New Cartographer

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the Site. I found this place because I was looking for a world map for the Palladium Fantasy Role-Playing Game. The best one I found was here. I would love to learn how to make a lot better maps than what I can do with graph paper and what drafting tools I still have, let alone MS paint.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hi there, and welcome to the guild
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Welcome to the Guild Rockwolf66! I recently did a Palladium map for a buddy of mine (killervp) over at the Obsidian Portal, not by chance the same one you are referring to is it? Anyway, you have come to the right place to learn the craft. There are some great tutorials here to help you get your feet wet. If you don't yet have any mapping software, or own Photoshop (the most popular form of software used here at the Guild), my I recommend downloading the GIMP. It is the finest freeware raster graphics program available, and while not as versatile as PS, still is plenty powerful.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Welcome to the Guild Rockwolf66! I recently did a Palladium map for a buddy of mine (killervp) over at the Obsidian Portal, not by chance the same one you are referring to is it? Anyway, you have come to the right place to learn the craft. There are some great tutorials here to help you get your feet wet. If you don't yet have any mapping software, or own Photoshop (the most popular form of software used here at the Guild), my I recommend downloading the GIMP. It is the finest freeware raster graphics program available, and while not as versatile as PS, still is plenty powerful.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    That is in fact the map in question. As I have said it is the finest map of that setting's world I have ever seen. If I had the time, money, programming skills I would love to make a map that Starts out with the setting world, then you can click to go to specific regions, then you can click on specific parts of the region like individual towns. In a previous game I played in I started with the player character's house and expanded from there.

That would indeed be a worthwhile (if demanding) undertaking. I know some folks over at the Obsidian Portal, a site which hosts individual campaign sites, are working on interactive maps of just the sort you've mentioned. At any rate, I'm flattered that you think so highly of my map. Hope your stay here is a good one, and feel free to let us know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh