Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: June/July 2013 Lite Entry - The Unangan Empire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Default June/July 2013 Lite Entry - The Unangan Empire

Alternative history! Irresistible. And after some thinking, researching, and going through old ideas, I've come up with something that I really want to make.

The currently most popular theory (I think) about how the first humans reached the Americas is that they came from Asia across the Bering Strait on a land bridge that has now disappeared under the sea. Some stayed, some moved on southward. The map I'll make for this challenge assumes that many more stayed, and that the Aleut people (who call themselves Unanga, hence the title) built trading city-states and eventually an empire in the region, with trade routes to China, India, the Inca empire, etc. Everything I know about this subject is from Wikipedia, so it might not become the most plausible alternative history ever constructed, but I like it Hopefully I'll have time to do some more thorough research and make a timeline… hopefully…

Here's what I have so far. I used the simple world map overlay found in G.Projector and made it azimuthal equidistant (because I have a thing for that), then I printed it in three A4 sections, cut into templates, and traced them onto aquarelle paper. For the rivers and lakes, I looked at Google Maps and tried to copy the biggest ones. Not a very accurate method, so that's another thing that is alternative in this map: the rivers took slightly different paths. Anyway, I "inked" the lines with acrylic paint, and that's where I am now. I think I'll be trying a modern atlas style this time.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unangan1.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	4.02 MB 
ID:	55580

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, you don't think small, do you? This should be awesome. And a cool idea!

Great idea, and a very nice sketch. Looking forward to watching this develops.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks, guys! The bigger the better, right Diamond?

Working on the basic coloring now, hopefully I'll have an update tomorrow or even tonight.

So, here's the first of probably many deviations from the plan: it's not very modern atlas-y in style at all any more. In fact, it turned out more like an abstract color study. But, could work too.

I failed big time on the piecing together of scans, I scanned it in five sections but I'll probably need six or seven to get rid of the ugly seams and blurriness. But for this early WIP it's good enough, right?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Unangan2.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	55732

And maybe a legend is needed: Yellow-green is farmland, green-green is forested, pale green is land outside of the Unangan Empire's borders, and the grey parts are (drumwhirl) mountains. I'm not happy at all with how the foreign territory turned out, too high contrast, so I'll see if I can tone down the mountains in those areas with a thin layer of white acrylic.

Guild Apprentice

Very nice style!!! love how you did the mountains, maybe some little with tops, so that they stand out more?

looking forward to more updates!

Cheers

Thank you, Leen! I don't think I'll push the highlights on the mountains any further as I want the cities, roads, borders etc. to be in focus in this map, and I think it could be distracting if the mountains stand out more than they do.

I'm probably done with the foundation for the map now; I've painted the sea, pieced together the scanned segments more carefully, added a new graticule (G.Projector-generated, not my sloppy handdrawn!), decreased the contrast and saturation in the whole map, and toned down Russia and Canada. The sea was the only of those things I did by hand actually. I'm going more and more digital

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	UnanganEmpire4.jpg 
Views:	628 
Size:	4.49 MB 
ID:	55759

I'm thinking of placing a cartouche with a legend in the middle of the Bering Sea, a timeline below the map, heraldry of the Unangan provinces above it, a title above that, and a border around everything. About two weeks left now, right? No problem…

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    I'm thinking of placing a cartouche with a legend in the middle of the Bering Sea, a timeline below the map, heraldry of the Unangan provinces above it, a title above that, and a border around everything. About two weeks left now, right? No problem…
    Like I said, you don't think small...

Looking completely fantastic so far.

I love the colors on this thing. Is it hand-drawn with pastels, because it really looks that way.

@WillP:
    Thanks! It's mostly watercolors, and acrylics for the mountains (as I needed higher opacity there). Pastels could be really interesting to use for mapping though, should give some nice textures. I'll have to try it sometime!

@Diamond:
    Thank you! I read sometime about an architect in medieval Constantinople who drew a huge mosque for the sultan (or whatever the ruler called himself), but because it's dome was smaller than Hagia Sofia's dome, his hand were cut of for lack of ambition. Wouldn't want that to happen

And on the topic of… well, the topic, here are the cities and roads of the Unangans (or unangax, if I've understood that bit of their grammar correctly). Also tweaked the colors a little again, warming them up just a tad. I think I'm happy with them now.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	UnanganEmpire5.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	4.64 MB 
ID:	55799

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast