Thread: Greetings!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Default Greetings!

Hi everyone.

I've found myself admiring maps for the past month or so and recently found a link to this forum on the sub-reddit for World Building. Needless to say, I am slightly impressed with the work being done here, especially as I am completely useless with a pen or a Photoshop brush. I've been working on the concept of a novel as a gift for someone that I hope to piece together bit by bit over the coming months/year and alongside this novel I'd like to have a map of the world it's based on.

I did have a look at the requests forum, but saw nothing that spoke of pricing. I suppose my newbie question is how much this would cost? Very vague estimates are fine, but I just want to be able to budget myself to afford an awesome map for this as it is hopefully a book that will stay with the person for the rest of their life or maybe even pass to their children. It's one of those gifts.

Some details of myself, of course: Nineteen years of age, Canadian, and an aspiring writer. I identify myself as an agnostic humanist and couldn't really pick a political party even if I wanted to. I'd like to consider myself a decent human being and an alright conversationalist with adequate opinions. We shall see if this holds true.

Is there anything I should particularly be aware of now that I am a member here?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Welcome Synsensa. The main thing you should be aware of is that this is a great community, with a lot of really helpful people who are really into mapping. You will definitely be able to learn enough to build your own maps if you would like to, but you can also have a look here for some information on requesting a map. I think the costs will vary depending on what you are after, how long it will take, and who is available. Someone else might be able to provide a better answer than me. The only "commission" I'm working on here is a collaborative project which we're doing for a donation to the Cartographer's guild.

But yeah, the main thing is to feel welcome, and don't be afraid to post your own work and ask questions, this community is great, and I'm glad to be a small part of it!

cheers,
    Meshon

Welcome Synsensa. Well, i know you were hoping for something a little more specific but I'm afraid Meshon is correct. Commission rates vary widely based upon the nature and detail of the map, it's px size, and the skill level or willingness of an artist. I've seen many [Unpaid] map requests here taken (though probably the majority of them are not). The most expensive map commission I've seen yet was $1,000 USD (though commissions meant for commercial level publications may well go for much more). If you aren't too concerned about quality then it is fine to offer a low rate of compensation (e.g. between 0-$50 USD). However if you wish to attract the skill level of more seasoned artists then it will likely cost you quite a bit more. Think about it in this way. Ask yourself what would be a fair hourly rate for a professional or semi-professional artist. Perhaps you want to be somewhat conservative and say $15 (which is low to my mind). Next ask, how many hours would this project likely take? Say you think it will take roughly 25 hours. Well, by those rough estimates, if you wish to attract a skilled artists to do this piece it will likely cost you at least $375. I think something over $400 for a 25 hour commission would at least tempt some of the more skilled artists here, if not the industry professionals.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice

Thanks for the welcome, guys! I figured a good quality map would go for over $300, and it seems I was right on that front. No clue when I'll be coming here for the commission but when that time comes, this is definitely the place I'll go to. Thanks again!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I have to agree with the others, in that the cost will depend on the artist, but it will also depend on how into the project the artist may be. You could also give mapping a try yourself if this is a long term thing. I have see great strides in skill level over the space of a years time. Arsheesh is one example The tutorial forum is a great place to pick up things if you are willing.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Applicant

Welcome and good luck on your novel! I'm in a similar boat myself!

Guild Novice

A bit of a necro post. My plan to write a novel for a friend and having a map drawn up for it unfortunately fell through and the idea of getting a map commissioned sort of fell onto the back burner with some other things going on.

But, I'm back! I also noticed that members need 5 posts before they can use the PM system so I'll be posting around a bit before I head on over to the commission section of the site.

Not much has changed since my initial introduction. I'm 21 now instead of 19 (phew), still Canadian, and still an aspiring writer. I have moved across the continent in this time, though, so that's new!

Hello everyone... once again.