Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Post Hello!

I can't beleive this site existed and nobody told me about it.

Hi everybody,

I'm a self-professed map geek and collector with a leaning towards fantasy maps. I'm heavily influenced by fantasy cartography of the 1970s - early 80s, particularly old-school D&D, Tolkein, and the Narnia novels.

Currently, all my map work is either hand-drawn or electronic manipulations of hand-drawn stuff. I've got a portofio up on Flickr here:
    http://flickr.com/photos/37996594214...7601899446999/

There's some beautiful stuff on this site. You guys rock!

Welcome to the Guild tonydowler! There are some really cool items on your flickr site. Post up some stuff here, and feel free to post your works in progress for comments and criticisms. I really like your ISO city/town views, they are really kind of nice. I am sure many people would love it if you were to make some ISO style city/castle/tower icons and make them available for personal use (at least I would!) Also, be sure to check out the tutorial section as I am sure there are many things that might give you some new inspiration for different styles.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice stuff, man!

Love the Iso city maps as well. Beautiful
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I am sure many people would love it if you were to make some ISO style city/castle/tower icons and make them available for personal use (at least I would!)
    That's a great idea! I never thought of trying that. OK, one more project added to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by tonydowler View Post
    That's a great idea! I never thought of trying that. OK, one more project added to the list.
    Cool... If you do end up posting some stuff here, make sure you include details on how it's licensed. Many people here make their stuff available via some version of the creative commons license (check my sig for a link to their site). There are various versions which grant different types of permissions. If you have any questions, just ask.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome Tonydowler. I think you will find many map geeks here who are keen to share ideas, tips and crits. Your stuff looks really cool and the style is clearly your own. I think you'll have a great time here. Post and post often.

Cheers
    Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Being the detail freak that I am (most of the time that is) I love those Flickr images with all the crenelations and tiny tidbits. A hearty welcome and a Hi-Oh Silver.

Glad you popped in to say hi!

Hope you will post more of your work here.

Quick question - is the game word you have on flickr done on commission, or because you have a personal connection to the game developers?

Just curious...

-Rob A>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast