Thread: Outline needed

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Outline needed

Hey guys, I'm sorry if I'm breaking some sort of site rule by asking for a map (new guy here), but I'm afraid I'm artistically challenged . However, I was referred here by a friend who said that this is "the best map resource in the world". I've been looking through the maps you have and I have to say, you guys are amazing at what you do. However, I've never seen a world map that's actually BLANK.

I know it's an odd request, but there's a forum game called Dawn of Worlds, where players role play gods and shape the world yourselves inch by inch. You later populate and manipulate the world, but I need a blank world map so that we can run the game. From there it's as simple as using paint to indicate grassland and triangles to indicate mountains, but I was wondering if you guys could help me by making a blank world map for use in the game?

Edit: I tried posting this in another forum that wasn't meant for this kind of thing, and here are some corrections. As far as what "blank" map means, I mean basically an outline with all white landmasses. No forests, mountains, or even grasslands. For all intents and purposes it is a world of dirt and oceans. The players shape the land, climate, and populations, and world progresses as they do. Furthermore, I've added the tag "unpaid" as the community leader suggested.

For those of you who want to play the game for yourselves or simply want to know what the game's all about, here's a PDF with all the information needed. It's a very fun game with the only requirements that are needed are pencils, paper, and artistic talent (which can be found in abundance here) http://www.clanwebsite.org/games/rpg...e_1_0Final.pdf

Default Need an Outline

Hey guys, I'm sorry if I'm breaking some sort of site rule by asking for a map (new guy here), but I'm afraid I'm artistically challenged . However, I was referred here by a friend who said that this is "the best map resource in the world". I've been looking through the maps you have and I have to say, you guys are amazing at what you do. However, I've never seen a world map that's actually BLANK.

I know it's an odd request, but there's a forum game called Dawn of Worlds, where players role play gods and shape the world yourselves inch by inch. You later populate and manipulate the world, but I need a blank world map so that we can run the game. From there it's as simple as using paint to indicate grassland and triangles to indicate mountains, but I was wondering if you guys could help me by making a blank world map for use in the game?

Edit: I was informed by some community leaders that not only do I need more details, but I posted it in the entirely wrong thread XD. So here's some more info.

What I need: By "blank map" I meant an outline of two, maybe three small continents, possibly with some scattered islands. Really it's your choice, I could just use the outline you guys can create. There shouldn't be any trees, mountains, or even grasslands, simply white continents and islands. For all intents and purposes it is simply a world of dirt and ocean. The purpose of the game is for the players to shape the landcape, climate, and to populate the world and manipulate said populations.

Size: I'm honestly not sure how "large" per say. I only have three confirmed players so far, and a team of seven barely filled up this (Read Message > ChooseYourStory.com) map after an longer amount of time than usual. So much smaller than that would be preferable.

Time Constraints: I could use it fairly soon, if that's at all possible. Hopefully an outline shouldn't take long, but sorry if I rush anybody.

Hi Bo,

From a brief skim read of your game rules you need a generator which can create a different blank world map every time. Suggest you check out 'Fractal terrains' by Pro Fantasy which can do this for you at the click of a button.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Hi Bo,

From a brief skim read of your game rules you need a generator which can create a different blank world map every time. Suggest you check out 'Fractal terrains' by Pro Fantasy which can do this for you at the click of a button.
    I checked it out (or at least googled it) and I'm not willing to pay forty dollars to host a game as a one-time thing. Thanks for the thought thouhg

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Well, if you ask me. and I think it was a general question so here goes, I believe that you could get the results that you are looking for by using a program like gimp, render some clouds and then use Threshold to create the shapes that seem pleasing to you. Once you got that select the land masses, create a new white layer and with that layer active give the selection a stroke. Below I attached an example of maybe 15 minutes work. Is this what you are talking about?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blank.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	55659
    Last edited by Korash; 06-25-2013 at 03:00 PM.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Member Facebook Connected Lezales's Avatar

I'll try to do that for you for tomorrow. Although if anyone gets another one done before, good ! In the worst case you'll have the choice between two. Anyway, what kind of landmass would you prefer ? Archipel, continental mass, nordic fjords coastlines ?

How about using REAL map outlines?!?

Like these from d-maps(dot)com ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	philippines01.gif 
Views:	1578 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	55762
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein