Thread: The Known World or, The Lands between the Grand Castellate

Wip The Known World or, The Lands between the Grand Castellate

This is for a project I've been working on for many years but up until now I had no map. As I said in a previous thread, I had a world but no idea how it looked. With some help from here, I finally got to where I was happy with what I had created. Attached is an equirectangular projection of the landmasses and the Grand Castellate, a 24,000 mile wall that goes from pole to pole and back again, cutting the entire globe in half.

I'm looking to make a world map with two hemispheres much like a Blaeu map I have framed. In my imagination, it would include latitude and longitude lines, place names, legend text, et cetera.

I'm posting here because I need some help. Of course. I'm having a hard time fiddling with Photoshop and even Illustrator. I know Fireworks like the back of my hand but its limitations (such as memory and file size) are getting the best of me so I branched out to Photoshop (64 Bit) and Illustrator. But I can't seem to get around them, like how things I could do in Fireworks I can't replicate in Photoshop/Illustrator either because it's impossible or involves a technique I'm not familiar with. I own CS5.1 but never really touched the two programs. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	equirectangular map.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	314.6 KB 
ID:	55314  

Guild Adept

Landmasses shapes are very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    Landmasses shapes are very nice.
    Thanks! It's amazing what a bunch of cropped images from Fractal Terrains and sticking them together can do.

I've also been able to get NASA's G.Projector to work and spit out a nice circular representation of what it would look like. The longitude I'm using is -75 and 105. I feel it best captures the size and shape of everything. I chose not to go with a single projection because I wanted to show the "sphericalness" of the world.

Name:	w and e hemisphere.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	2.85 MB 
ID:	55315  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Great Shapes! I like to see how you are pregressing in mapping, keep on!

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Great Shapes! I like to see how you are pregressing in mapping, keep on!
    Thank you very much!

I'd like to know if there is a faster and more efficient way to take a map of the projection G.Projector makes. Right now, I save the image at its maximum size with G.Projector, open it in Photoshop, export the path to Illustrator, edit the path there (simplify it, remove excess points), and put it back into Photoshop.

Here's the western hemisphere of the map I've started. I've had to delete and restart everything I don't know how many times as I would come to realize I've done something wrong.

Map type is azimuthal equidistant.

Comments, questions, concerns?

Name:	first.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	55779