Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Map of Andalor

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

Wip Map of Andalor

Greetings!

Well, that's the map I'm working on. Not much to see as of yet, since I've been focussing on just a small part of the world so far, namely the Kingdom of Aridea and a bit of its surroundings. Nothing is really finished though, I'm editing all the time and still muck around with different possibilities.

So yeah, how do you like it so far? Are there any huge flaws which I'm likely to miss? Or do you have any suggestions?

PS: Sorry, I didn't even clean up before savin' the picture, so there is still some stuff that stands out against the rest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	andalorgroß.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	19217  

Thanks.

Yes, the forests have gone through a lot of different stages and are indeed pretty dark now. I have yet to decide if I want to keep them that way or to lighten 'em up again. The thing is actually that I don't want this map to be too colourful, so a dark green fits me the most in that matter. But as soon as I progressed some more, I know I'm going to play around with the sliders again.
    Last edited by Rongar; 12-05-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Looks pretty good so far. The map is kinda dark (lots of dark colors) but it fits the style I think.

What are the thick brown lines supposed to represent?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like what you have so far, but I think the forest & mountain symbols are either (1) over saturated or (2) the contrast is set a bit to high.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks, guys.

@Gandwarf: The thick brown lines are prototypes for political borders.

@Steel General: Yes, the darn forests. I have already reduced the contrast and will probably take away their drop shadow again. Or maybe I'll add some glow to them. Hmm, not sure yet. The end result will be a surprise, even for me.

I like the amber hue of this map. I think it's looking great so far.

The end result will be a surprise, even for me.
    You sound like me, I never know what I'm going to end up with. I look forward to knowing what to expect when I click the buttons
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I like where this is going. I wonder what it would look like if you changed the mountain layer to more of a darker brown instead of the stark black. If you don't want a lot of color in the trees, how about changing them to fall colors (reds, yellows, and oranges) and desaturating them a bit? Just a thought. It's all looking good though.

-IG

Thanks guys.

@Jaxilon: Yeah, exactly. It's so much fun messing around with the buttons. It's kinda like "a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

@industrygothica: I'll definitely check out the brown mountains. Well, actually I already did and I like it. But right now I have nearly every mountain have its own layer, to make sure I can easily move, scale or mirror them whenever necessary. Once the mountains are done though, I'll put them down to just one layer and then colorize them.

As for the trees ... hmm, not a bad idea. I've tested it with one of the forests, but I need to try again once all forests are down to one layer. To see if I like the overall look.

Thanks for your input, I'll take note of all your suggetions. And an updated map is soon to follow.

Regards,

~~Rongar

Okay so --- after a short break (*cough cough*) I've sat down again and continued working on my map. In case you wonder, I redid the shape of the landmass and other things, but that's not so important right now. My primar questions are: What do you think of the forests? Are they any good? Do they actually fit with the ancient paper-scroll-style I'm trying to achieve? Or would you recommend using non-isometric forests with less colour?

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly aprreciated.

Thanks,

~~Rongar
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NeuAndalor.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	4.61 MB 
ID:	20298  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast