Thread: Ehlon River and Wake Island WIPs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Ehlon River and Wake Island WIPs

The first being a fictional place, the second being an actual island (or rather, atoll) in the pacific. Fans of the "Battlefield" series will remember it.

I'm also uploading a map and satellite photo of Wake for you to compare. I'll deviate from reality, of course, as most tress have been cut down and there's a big frickin airfield right in the middle of it, but I'll keep the shape and feel.

I'm mostly working on the second right now, as the first got me a little bored, I'm not sure I'm going to finish it.

I've had the chance to experiment a lot on wake; for instance, there are 4 superposed main colour layers, as you might be able to see: the grass, the lagoon, the reef, and the sea itself.

Problems noted: Weird white blob in the sea, the lagoon not being green enough and having an odd look in general.

Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map Ehlon river WIP2.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	4751   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wake island redux WIP.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	4752   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300px-Wake_Island.png 
Views:	123 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	4753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wakeisla.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	4754  
    All works shown in my posts are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License (good thinking jfrazierjr)

Consider all my maps to be usable by anyone for the CWBP. Feel free to ask me for the .xcf or to ask me to change the orientation or scale.

New WiP for Wake Island. I think I'm pretty much done on the terrain... I might change a thing or two here and there (I might do some more underwater features, for instance). Any thoughts?

Views:	139 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	5050  
    All works shown in my posts are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License (good thinking jfrazierjr)

Consider all my maps to be usable by anyone for the CWBP. Feel free to ask me for the .xcf or to ask me to change the orientation or scale.

Post Nice waves!

Very nice! I especially like the waves.

I'm always trying to emulate surf in my coastal maps, I have to study this closely and incorporate an artificial version.

I'm very impressed with your Wake Island.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Very nice! I especially like the waves.

I'm always trying to emulate surf in my coastal maps, I have to study this closely and incorporate an artificial version.

I'm very impressed with your Wake Island.

GP
    Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Seconded. I'm really impressed too!
    What they said!

The thumbnail is pretty much indistinguishable from a satellite shot in my opinion.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks! The wave effect is rather simple to do, really. The trick is to use a mix of black-and-white plasma and standard clouds on overlay. The most important part (and what gives the actual wave affect) is really the plasma. I can't remember the detail I set it to, but that just comes through eperimentation. The only annoying thing is that you have to desaturate the plasma 100% to have the black and white. Bah, it's just a couple of clicks more.

EDIT: ok, for some reason, I can't remember HOW I did those waves. It's not exactly plasma though. Dammit, I should have noted that down. Oh well, I'll work on reverse-engineering it.

EDIT2: Ah, now I know. It's low-detail plasma displacement-mapped unto itself, then the result is bump-mapped on itself. At least, that's how i was able to roughly duplicate it. Might have done it in another way earlier. Ah well.

EDIT3: New WiP. Something was bugging me with the forest: I realized I hadn't bump-mapped the plasma overlay layers.

Views:	77 
Size:	73.8 KB 
ID:	5066  
    Last edited by A. Smith; 07-09-2008 at 02:30 PM.

Um… Thanks for the linguistics lesson, but was it really necessary to resurrect a 2 1/2 year old thread to share it?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name