Thread: Plate Map

Guild Apprentice

Wip Plate Map

I've decided to start working on creating a world. And I figure I should do it right, so I've started with the plates for my frame work. The world will be earth equivalent in size. I have not given the plates motion yet, I wanted to get some feed back first. The single plates over the poles are for simplicities sake. Let me know what you think.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PlateMap.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	176.6 KB 
ID:	55653

Blog Entries

I think it's a good work, so far. The plates over the poles are ok.
    Are you using a specific software to give the plates motion? I'm also interested in such kind of things and last year I found a free software called "GPlates", but I've never used it because it's made by geologists, and study is needed for using it.

Guild Apprentice

The movement of the plates is being done by random numbers for speed and direction. GPlates looks like it could be useful, but I think I would need much more data to model to plate movements. Attached is an ugly map showing the plates speed and direction. I didn't give the northern and southern plates any velocity in order to preserve my sanity. Next step is determining the plate and boundaries types.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tecktonics.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	55695

Guild Apprentice

looking good, can see a lot of friction positions. are you going to physically going to model or just representation. Could I suggest some fracture points where quakes are lible.

happy plate smashing

I love seeing maps start off with this attention to tectonic plates etc Don't forget to make the pole plates move too.