Thread: Pointers for CC3 Dungeon Mapping?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Default Pointers for CC3 Dungeon Mapping?

Well, I've figured I want to practice making smaller battle/environment maps for use in roll20 campaigns I play in, and right now I have CC3, with intentions to buy Dungeon Designer when I have more disposable income. So I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers for making passable battle/grid maps/floor plans using just CC3, until I can get my hands on DD3 in a few months or so? Also, any free resource directions for symbol styles/sets or contributing to such as a community would be nice (What I mean is if there is a free/open source equivalent to something like the Profantasy Annuals, should someone want to contribute to or use such resources). Thanks for any input!

Dunjinni forums have tons of symbols - most are photorealistic so they don't mesh super well with the profantasy symbols, but they are also free.

In general - All of the ad-ons for CC3 give you extra symbols and tools to make mapping easier. When your first starting out with the program, they can be a big help (i.e. using the wall and floors tool rather than manually drawing a wall or floor with the line tool and polygon tool respectively) - but you don't actually "need" them to make dungeons. Having said that, I do highly recommend them and the annuals.

My best advice is to watch and follow along with all of the youtube tutorials for CC3 (particularly the Dungeon one). Once you understand what he's doing, you'll be able to make your own and the program gets easier to understand with every map.
    *Most of my Maps can be seen in full resolution on my blog*

*I've made some of my maps into full adventures available for download at DriveThruRPG.com or Paizo.com

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License unless stated otherwise in the thread.