Thread: New Member - Interested in Cartography

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

Default New Member - Interested in Cartography

Hi,

Evan Smith here looking to expand my cartography skills. I went to school for GIS and am currently in business development / technical sales for a GIS software company. However, my passion as been and always will be cartographic mapping. My experience with mapping has mainly been through GIS but want to expand my skills to encompass digital mapping with various software packages (other than a GIS). I want to purse my cartographic passion as a hobby as well as professionally. If anyone has any tips that would be great. Love the site and am excited to be a part of this community. I hope to learn a lot that will help me become a better map maker and spatial problem solver.

Cheers,
    Evan

Blog Entries

Hi Evan,

I also work for a GIS Software company (as a developer). Familiarity with GIS should put you in a good position to understand vector graphics so I think that would be a good starting point. I get very good results using Inkscape myself.

Welcome to the Guild Evan! What Hai-Etik said (he should know, he's one of our finest vector graphic artists).

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh