Thread: The Velires - Golden Isles of the Aladric

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Default The Velires - Golden Isles of the Aladric

It's been a good long while since I've posted a map (roughly 2 months), so I thought I'd go ahead and do another. This one's taken me about 3 days, or about 10 hours of total work. All done in Adobe Photoshop. The 2 fonts I used were Optimus Princeps Bold, and Aladdin (just for the compass letters). The original dimensions were 2200x1200.

It's an island chain, situated squarely in the middle of a small ocean (though it's still a few weeks of travel time, as a ship sails). Think Hawaii, or the Azores, for reference. The map is 300 miles wide, and roughly 160 miles tall.

Two nations are currently in the middle of an uneasy truce after a brief yet bloody war for the islands. The Exari Empire, located to the west, want control of the islands due to their strategic value, and for their prime location for trade in the Aladric ocean. The Velires Council governs the most of the islands. The culture of the islands is a mixing pot of all those surrounding them, with the two main contributors being the Exari (now in disfavor due the the recent conflict) and the Czelek, an Oriental themed people from the east.

There's a bit more history, but I'm gonna assume you're here more for the cartography, not the history If you want more, you only have to ask. So, without further ado, here's my brand new map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Velires2.png 
Views:	271 
Size:	4.20 MB 
ID:	55749

Hope you like it! Any and all constructive criticism is welcomed, as well as your praise for things I managed to get just right If there's anything you feel should be added or subtracted, just let me know. This map could easily have more added to it, but I'm simply not creative enough to know what else it could have in it

Thank you!

Blog Entries

No feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by Larion View Post
    No feedback?
    Hate it when that happens. I dig the overall style, it's not too busy (nice simple mountains and forests), nicely labeled, and the golden backdrop is nice. Speaking for myself I find the colors of the land-forms to be a bit jarring. If I had one recommendation it would be to alter these colors to a much more muted hue, possibly with a brighter stroke line traced along the perimeter of each island. Overall nice work though.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Not really convinced by this one to be honest. the style is pretty good but I concur with Arsheesh about colors. Also the coastlines looks too much pixellated imo.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Not really convinced by this one to be honest. the style is pretty good but I concur with Arsheesh about colors. Also the coastlines looks too much pixellated imo.
    Seconded. Otherwise it is a nice map.