Thread: Bering Straight Map

Map Bering Straight Map

Here is a map I have been working on in another website (ConquerClub), and I just wanted to see if I could get some new feedback here.

Here it is:

Any comments?

--lanyards

It reminds me a little bit of Risk.

I am assuming that this is for a boardgame, so I think that it works well for that. The text is easy to read and all of the territories are easy to distinguish.

My critiques:

The colors are a bit monochromatic. All that light blue makes it feel cold and some what depressing.

If you made the ocean a bit bluer, used colored boarder lines and natural looking land masses it would make the hole thing much more atractive to look at.

Boarder lines are clear, the text is sharp and legible, and the land masses are easy to recognise, so on this aspect its very well done.

I assume its going to be for a board game, as landorl said?
    Last edited by someguy; 08-08-2008 at 05:08 PM.

Yes, this is a RISK map.

And the reason the land masses are unnatural colors is to make the map look more Arctic. That is the theme of this map. Maybe if I make the land masses white and then make the borders different colors to distinguish the different lands?

And thanks for the help guys.

--lanyards

I really like the colour choice. It has a cold feel about it. As a map for a board game (and I play lots of them) I think it really works. It's simple and the borders are easy to see.

I think it's called the Bering Straits (rather than Strait in the singular).

Is there a reason why the three provinces in Kamchatca are nameless?

In terms of fonts, you might want to find a font family where you can use a compressed version for the long Russian provinces so they fit within the borders (e.g. Ariel Narrow and Ariel) and the normal version for the shorter names, alternatively you could use a compressed sans font and make the spacing a little wider where you have more room.

Post Just a reply

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I really like the colour choice. It has a cold feel about it. As a map for a board game (and I play lots of them) I think it really works. It's simple and the borders are easy to see.

I think it's called the Bering Straits (rather than Strait in the singular).

Is there a reason why the three provinces in Kamchatca are nameless?

In terms of fonts, you might want to find a font family where you can use a compressed version for the long Russian provinces so they fit within the borders (e.g. Ariel Narrow and Ariel) and the normal version for the shorter names, alternatively you could use a compressed sans font and make the spacing a little wider where you have more room.
    They arent nameless ravells the terretorie names is in the water. Cause they will cover up the "Army Circles" which they place the armynumbers in (riskarmies) So it isint room to take it above the actual terretories. Thats my guess about it anyway, the size issue is hard sometimes