Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Region/City WIP

Post Region/City WIP

So, wanted to post and get some feedback on this WIP.

In short: A runequest-based, thieves' world inspired campaing, taking place in a venice-inspired city. The GM provided me with a hand-drawn sketch, which detailed the major water routes and islands, and I've been running with it since then, with some input from him.

Notes that haven't made it onto this map yet:

SCALE: is actually half that shown (scale bar will total ~ 1/2 mile, or 2500 feet)

CITY DEFENSES: Three towers along Cellini's Passage, with cannon (the game is set with early era firearms), as well as the request for some sort of naval base on the marshy peninsula, which I am having trouble justifying...

DOCKS and WHARVES: need to add a good number of these to the northernmost islands and along "The Stench" (i.e. where the Tanners, Brewers, etc live and work - a loosely built slum)

NAMING: "River Cordam" needs to be something more Italian, as does "Gandra" (the name of a fictional witch, for which the disease-carrying swamp was named)

Thoughts?
    PD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RQ Thieves World.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	4760  

It is certainly a very evocative map. I can't wait to see the finished product.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I generally approach things from the aesthetic whole point of view and the colors here make me drool...superb. The only thing I saw that struck me as odd was some of the, I assume to be, mountains (gray things) stop abruptly at the water line; I'd fade them out a bit. If they aren't mountains then forget what I just said

What is interesting here is that I usually don't like saturated colours on a map, (although I spend my life trying to find the exception to prove the rule) but in this instance they have been used really well and make the map look really rich.

Ascension & Ravells-

Thanks! Actually, the land mass started out with much *more* vibrant colors... I kept looking at it, saying "something's just /not working/..."

Then I added a desaturation layer over all of the land (land base, marsh texture and cloud texture) and finally said, "....aaaaaahhhh."

As for the "mountains"- Not so much mountains as rock outcroppings - with the marshland on the coast, theres probably not a lot of elevation in the immediate surroundings, but there might be a few areas of rocky hills, helping to divide (retain?) the water table. I don't think any of the "hills" are more than 50-100 feet tall... All very low... At least, those were my initial impulses

So, for example - look at the outcropping just NW of "The Stench" - it fades up from the surrounding grassland as it proceeds NW, implying (to me) a gentle rise from grass and dirt to rocky hillside. Then, yes, it stops abruptly at the river, which (again, to me) implies a very small cliff or bluff overlooking the waterway.

Does that make sense, or do you have any ideas on how to make that more apparent?

PD

Are the islands going to be connected to the mainland by bridges? I see some of the islands are connected, but I didn't see them connected to the mainland.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Makes perfect sense so disregard what I said (except the drooling part).

I second, third and fourth the sentiments already stated here. I can't wait to see how this progresses, the detail is lush and inspiring. Just studying this map makes me think that countless hours of roleplaying can be packed into this "small" area.
    Skycast

Wild Die - a random die roll of a blog | Savage Septentrionalis - Savage Worlds play-by-post

I must say I really like this map. Looking forward to se it evolve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast