Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Map of Zanthura

Wip A Map of Zanthura

Hi guys, this is my first map ever, so pointers are super welcome . I've just finished the rivers and the land. I'm going for a paper-looking style, and I think it is very good so far. I would like to know what I could do for mountains. I want to go with a tolkien-style mountain, but maybe a little more realistic? I don't know, but any tutorials you can point me towards would be fantastic. In my quick 30 minute search I could not find anything. So here it is, I'll update when I have more progress

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zanthura.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	55841

Hi! Great looking map so far!
    Hopefully you can find some good tutorials for mountains! There are so many different options right? I'm surprised you wouldn't do the mountains first as they'd determine where the rivers are but that's okay, you can still work it. The first thing I think about is that the island in the centre between the two land masses would be extremely strategic! I imagine you'd get a city or two there to be sure!

Looking really nice so far. The style looks like one jzelf's tutorial maps, if you aren't using his tutorial than you may want to have a look at it and see if it's what you're after. I think hand drawn is definitely the way to go for this style. I'd also recommend checking out Torstan's Assorted Tips and Tricks tutorial.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I have a hand-sketched map for where everything is going

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Looks cool so far, some very nice shapes there. The river positioning makes it easy to visualize where the mountains are, so it seems like you've thought it through well! Personally, for that kind of map, I'd draw some stylized mountains by hand and scan (or photograph if you don't have a scanner), and play around with filters and opacity on them to make them blend in with the rest of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by LampitosGames View Post
    Hi guys, this is my first map ever, so pointers are super welcome . I've just finished the rivers and the land. I'm going for a paper-looking style, and I think it is very good so far. I would like to know what I could do for mountains. I want to go with a tolkien-style mountain, but maybe a little more realistic? I don't know, but any tutorials you can point me towards would be fantastic. In my quick 30 minute search I could not find anything. So here it is, I'll update when I have more progress

Name:	Zanthura.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	55841
    Hi there!

I'm new here. Could you please tell me what program you used to create this map? I'm looking for a program I could use to create a similar style map.

In regard to your Tolkien-esque mountains, would it be possible to create a brush like in Photoshop?

As I said, I'm new to all of this, so I'm trying to figure out the best techniques to do things.

Great map!

@ katiedidit120
    I'm using photoshop

Also, this is kind of another update. I've been traveling/doing other stuff and haven't really had any time to work on my map. As of now, I started with a mountain style, and really do not like it. I will most likely scrap it, and hand draw my mountains, lol. For creating brushes, I've tried playing around with the settings, and I really do not like how the mountains I've drawn overlap. It looks very weird, any ideas on how to fix that?

It's hard to say without being able to see what you've done so far. If the problem you've got is that the mountains in the back are visible even though there are other mountains in front of them, then I do have a possible solution:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...rush-work.html
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    It's hard to say without being able to see what you've done so far. If the problem you've got is that the mountains in the back are visible even though there are other mountains in front of them, then I do have a possible solution:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...rush-work.html
    this is the most helpful thing I have seen while I've been on this website. Thank you so much!

Alright, my mountains are drawn. They turned out MUCH better with pencil/paper. I hate drawing on the computer, lol.

Name:	mountain_scan_watermarked.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	57239

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast