Thread: Hello. Nice to meet you.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Hello. Nice to meet you.

Hello,

I am just starting out on my endeavor as a cartographer. I am versed in adobe photoshop & illustrator and hoping I will be able to use these skills to make some great world maps. This is partly due to the development of a pen & paper RPG my friend & I have been developing, as well as being a DM and cooking up my own home brew worlds. I am open for any and all advice, that the gurus in the Cartographers' Guild would have to offer.

I have perused some of the maps that are present and they are pretty astounding and stylish. I hope to be able to model my efforts after some of your endeavors and likeness as far as technique is concerned.

Welcome to the Guild Rick! You are in good company, many others here come to the Guild with the same purpose (in fact I was one of them). I would suggest getting to know the tutorials section pretty well. You'll find a lot of material there to help you get your feet wet. Once you begin a map, create a WIP thread and ask for feedback. That is another great way to learn from the combined experience of others.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Awesome. I will be diving in very soon. I am running a campaign(Evil) that will be using my world setting. I have to generate a world map to start with. and then get down to the specifics. Or at least that is how I am envisioning how it will be going. If anyone has suggestions on the world creation it would be awesome.

Also if anyone has any tips for the colorblind that would be great too. I know how I approach the issue with normal design pieces and art, but sometimes things don't translate that easy and technique can differ. I have a difficult time with your high value(dark tones) and low value(light tones). Example: Navy Blue and Hunter Green and anything of that value and light yellows and light greens and not excluding oranges or the like in this range. Mid tones I can pretty much tell the difference. I failed every eye color exam the eye doctor gave me.

Welcome. I've just joined myself.