Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Styletest: 19th century historical map

That is spectacular. I would love to see how it's done step by step!

Amazing! Sharing your methods really gives me some great new ideas also, thank you so much.

That's very nice and very well done! It really looks like a 19th century map imho. The only thing is that I find the fonts a bit blurry on this last one (especially compared to the previous ones).

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    The only thing is that I find the fonts a bit blurry on this last one (especially compared to the previous ones).
    Yep, I guess I overdid the blurring a little bit here. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Nothing that cannot be easily fixed though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br_it3.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	887.5 KB 
ID:	61776

Or perhaps not quite that easy. Important rule for GIMP users: Never merge down effect-layers before you are 120% sure you won't change them again.

This is one of the things I really would like to have Photoshop for. It is just so easy to add and delete layerstyles with PS.

Just perfect now!

I know what you mean about layers. It's worth in PSP and I'm keeping a save of everything, just in case...

I really like that style, the only problem is see is that some colors will always clash.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freodin View Post
    I am still tinkering with this. The current version is about as close to my goal as I can get it... but the methods I use get more and more complicated.
    Unnecessarily complicated perhaps... I don't think most people are going to notice some of the small details.
    One problem I have run into: you cannot use layergroups as layermaps / alphamaps - at least not in the current version of GIMP. So in order to keep this map non-destructive, I have to include a number of backup layers.

Now I have to come around and write all this stuff down, so that I don't forget how I did it.

What do you think? Would it be worth to invest the time, do it right and make a tutorial from it?
    Attachment 61771
    Looks great. A tutorial woule be excellent.

Guild Adept

One helluva map. Excellent work.
    Upon the Creation of the World the First Dragons cast their seed in the light of a Sun and a Thousand Suns, beneath the Moon and a Thousand Moons, on a World and a Thousand Worlds.

www.sistercontinents.com

Guild Novice

Super pretty! The one thing I can find to complain about after fifteen minutes of admiration is that you might have overly blurred the rivers as well as the text - it feels a bit forced sometimes if you look at it for a really long time ^^

But the other 14:30 that I spent looking at it was just pure joy. I'd love a tutorial =D and I love the sketchy glow style on the countries in particular! Beautiful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast