Thread: Styletest: 19th century historical map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Styletest: 19th century historical map

I am doing maps again. I tried a lot of different things in the recent time, but nothing that really made me happy.

Now I am trying a historical style again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br_it.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	55895

Things still to do / change:

Colours: I have to limit myself to a more subtle palette for the country colours.

Font: I can for Mercator's sake not identify what kind of font was used in the original. Some kind of Didot, but that is all that I could find. The one used here is called "Georgia" and was the closest I had at hand. I have downloaded some kind of free Didot variant, and while the text looks better, the numbers are still not right.

Aging effects: Background texture is slapdash right now. Have to do it better.

Further infos: As I did not want to copy the original map 1 to 1, I used the starter setup of Crusader Kings 2 867 / The Old Gods as a template.... after a lot (heck! All!) of hand-adjusting the CK2 map to this layout.
    The original map from the 14th edition of the Brockhaus encyclopedia can be found here (BTW: while I used the original map as a template, all of my map is really drawn by me. )

I'll be back soon... hopefully with some serious update (I have to play CK2 )... and a number of questions.
    Last edited by Freodin; 07-07-2013 at 01:25 PM.