Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: July 2013 Entry: Paksenarrion's World

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Another series on my read list then! Thanks for the recommendations!

I really like that font, though I agree that it's not a perfect fit next to the cleaner ones. It doesn't look bad at all, but I think I would have kept the new font and changed the title and region names to something more similar…

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Diamond, yes. More specifically where it passes through Cortes Andres with a similar appearance at the NE area of those hills.

I think Eilathen might have a point about what looks like cannon barrels at the bottom of those crests....maybe they are long signal drums...not that I remember them being used....

And I would double that Black Company recommendation. A gritty dark fantasy about a merc company that kicks ASS!!!
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Very good point about those corner ornaments - I didn't even notice those cannon. There's also a pair of rifle barrels sticking out. I will change those to something more apropos.

@Korash - I'll see what I can do on those river areas. I'm not seeing exactly what you mean; I made the rivers by drawing a line, making the fill 0%, then applying a bevel. It might be that the colors of the hills and mountains showing through the river layer makes it seem as though the layers are inverted. I'll take another look at it tonight.

I think I will alter the title and region fonts a bit to be more in line with the other stuff. Maybe I'll even use the same font.

Very interesting blend of styles, sort of reminds me a little of a2area's "Israh" map (which was one of the inspirations for my own regional mapping style). The colors are great and I like the way the mountains turned out. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

How did you created the mountains?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    How did you created the mountains?
    Took scans of atlases (paper books) and online survey map/pictures, and stitched together the pieces that I wanted. Then cleaned up the joins, added transitional filler pieces where necessary, and fixed the colors so they're fairly uniform.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Took scans of atlases (paper books) and online survey map/pictures, and stitched together the pieces that I wanted. Then cleaned up the joins, added transitional filler pieces where necessary, and fixed the colors so they're fairly uniform.
    Interesting way of doing it. Could you post a tutorial later on? I would be interested in this specific technic.

looks really nice, though I think the green colour is a tad too strong. But that might just be me.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Hey Diamond, some progress there?

Don't worry; I'll finish it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast