Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World of Madara

Quote Originally Posted by Tzi View Post
    Curious, for those who've made scales? Whats the ideal way to calculate out a scale? Since I'm a novice at this my first instance was to take my intended circumference of the whole planet and divide it by say the number of pixels the image is wide.

so Say the circumference around the equator divided by 1600 Pixels (=423.33 MM), I went with 38025.6 Kilometers (The same circumference as Venus)
    Until such time as you print, pixels are the most easily used absolute units you have, so yeah: 38025.6 km / 1600 px = 23.766 km / pixel. Of course, that's only going to be true at the equator in a rectangular projection. I don't know much about projections, but I know that either size/distance or shape gets distorted as you near the poles, so a scale is of limited usefulness on a world map.

Your ocean color is overwhelming. I'd say darken it by about 30%, and maybe desaturate by about 10%. The color it is now makes me want to put a weatherman in front of it. ;-)
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Until such time as you print, pixels are the most easily used absolute units you have, so yeah: 38025.6 km / 1600 px = 23.766 km / pixel. Of course, that's only going to be true at the equator in a rectangular projection. I don't know much about projections, but I know that either size/distance or shape gets distorted as you near the poles, so a scale is of limited usefulness on a world map.

Your ocean color is overwhelming. I'd say darken it by about 30%, and maybe desaturate by about 10%. The color it is now makes me want to put a weatherman in front of it. ;-)
    Currently the only point of a scale is mostly to give myself and players a rough estimation of distance, plus as I make smaller maps of single regions it helps in knowing their scale if I can suppose a total side of the world.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Madara.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	56555

So I made the scale a bit smaller, or the world slightly smaller just so I could deal in even numbers. The ocean is darker and the continent labels remain but I intend to redo major bodies of water labels. As well as general geographic labels.
    Last edited by Tzi; 08-01-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Added info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12