Thread: June/July 2013 Lite Entry - Europe 1806

Guild Apprentice

Default June/July 2013 Lite Entry - Europe 1806

I finally made it... I wasn't sure about that, so i didn't throw my hat in the ring earlier, but now I have a finished map for this contest. It's not the nicest map, but even that took my more time than i actually have to spare.
    There's no way that this map will have a chance to reach the outstanding entries of WilliP and Lingon, but at least i have a finished map in the contest this time.

The point, where my reality alternates from this reality, is the Battle of Poltava between Russia and Sweden in the Great Northern War. What if Tsar Peter didn't manage to modernize it's Army this fast? What if the Swedes managed to get dry gunpowder? What if... Sweden won the whole damn war? It probably would have become a power northern europe has never seen before.

The Rest of the story is on the map, I really need to get some sleep now...

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Svensk-Franska.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	398.3 KB 
ID:	55971
    Conversation at university while writing our group report:
    "I'll make a map." - "We don't need a map, we only interviewed some people." - " I know, but it won't stop me from making one."

Very impressive for a last minute stab. It looks like you have put a lot of thought into this, and it makes me wonder how Napoleon will play a part.

Couple of tidbits. The font in the cartouche is a little bit smeared and tough to read...for that amount of writing, perhaps a very clean and simple font. Also, Southern Italian peninsula should be either Naples or Napoli if you wish for the Italian spelling.

Guild Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback, i made the text a bit bigger and more readable (and added two lines), but so the Map title had tu move over to russia... I'mnot really happy with this, but I'm not sure if I have the time to find a better solution. Maybe tonight...

as for Napoleon... I think it won't be too different from our timeline, except there is no need for an invasion to Russia. And Sweden would be difficult to attack without a strong navy (or a Russian Ally... Who knows?)

Edit: Crap, that was the old version. So here is the new one:

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Svensk-Franska2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	418.3 KB 
ID:	56008
    Last edited by Niall Mackay; 07-12-2013 at 11:00 AM.
    "I'll make a map." - "We don't need a map, we only interviewed some people." - " I know, but it won't stop me from making one."

Much more readable. A+.

As for Napoleon...If he didn't invade Russia then he would never have been defeated by General Winter and never would have lost a very large army. If that happened, he never would have been weakened and Britain never would have been in a position to invade the mainland....

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Looks very nice. If you have time before the deadline, maybe think about adding some texture and/or desaturate the colors a little? A border to frame the map would tie it together too, it could be as simple as a thick white line or something. Just a couple of thoughts

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Good points from Lingon.

Guild Apprentice

Since this is supposed to be just a political map I wanted to leave textures out since they don't add neccessary information, but to desaturate the colours was a good idea, thanks!

I also put some effort in making the borders and coasts a bit prittier (turned out that the austrian border was in the colour layer and therefore turned out a bit ugly...) and added a map border in the same style as the coastlines.

And i translated the Title to English

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Svensk-Franska3.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	398.0 KB 
ID:	56036

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Great improvements in the new version! As anyone who has seen my maps know, I like stuff that doesn't add necessary info But of course, leave textures out if you prefer the smooth look.

Guild Apprentice

I have seen your maps and i really like them, too, but i lack the artistic skill to pull something off the comes close.
    I easily could add some noise or other random textures, but what for? Mountain ranges and rivers would make sense, but I have no time for researching them or bulding them in...

And maybe I'm spoiled by our cartography prof concerning such things. For her, even the "fading" coastlines would probably be too much decoration.

edit: and I thought a little bit about the future of the timeline. AsWillP said, without the Invasion in Russia Napoleon would have maintained his army and empire. England wouldn't have had helped as much as th the Canadians as much as they did when the US attacked in 1812, Germany wouldn't form (at least not this early, and not under prussian rule - but maybe under barbarian ...err, bavarian ) and maybe there even wouldn't have been the two World wars. Without WWI, the Habsburg Empire wouldn't have broken up (at least not this fast). With an Ottoman Empire this strong, there probably wouldn't be a french collonial Empire in Northern Africa...
    Last edited by Niall Mackay; 07-13-2013 at 12:41 PM.