Hello everyone, I am a writer and I am in the process of creating my own story world. I have a general idea so far of what some of the places look like but frankly, I don't know the first thing about cartography. It seems important to me, however, to know what this world looks like and where things are. But as I said, I don't know the first thing about cartography and I have very limited skills when it comes to drawing (by hand or with computers)

To be very honest, and with respect to it, seeing as I look through this site what a complex art-form it is, I am only interested in it so far as it suits my purposes. Frankly I don't know where I ought to start. I've seem some tutorials on how to design one using photoshop or gimp but most of these seem geared toward people who at least know how to draw something other than an amorphous blob with squiggles and dots making up the topography. I unfortunately, can barely manage that much so if there is any one who has some insight for some one with no experience in mapmaking or knows of a place that might be helpful to me, I would very much appreciate any help. Thanks for your time.