Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wind Island - WIP

Default Wind Island - WIP

I started a new project (my second map ), I'd put this in this post the progress of my work and if anyone will want to give some good advice on how to improve my work I'll be happy.
    Start with the coast line and the color of sea and land.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wind Island.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	955.1 KB 
ID:	56018

First thing I wonder is, what the size will be. Is it more like Eurasia, Australia or Iceland?

And yes, the coastline. I don't like that one, at least, it should fade out towards the water, I'd think.
    I just learned this striped pattern coastline and like that even better, then a solid colour but it depends on the style you are aiming for and I don't know whether this would go with the current "Structure symbolizes terrain" approach. - That I like by the way, those are nice grasslands, but I guess this will make working in mountains and hills even more difficult. Can't help you there, sadly.

I drew some mountains and hills and added an inner glow to the coast to simulate the beaches.
    Have you suggestions on how to improve these items or think they go well?

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	56099

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Mountains lokks pretty big on the map. What's the size of the lands? Is it a small island or a continent? Abou tthe mountains, you should fade the several transitions of shadows to make it smoother and make the shadows roughly the same on all mountains, htat would give consistency to them. Also try to build some ranges to make them look better. For now they seem to be a bit random located

The dimensions are those of a continent so yeah, actually the mountains are a bit too large, will correct.
    For the shadow of the mountains as a tool do you think is better?
    For details such as villages, fields, rivers, and roads, and forests expected before ending the mountains.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

For the mountains, since it seems you're going for a clean look, use some fuzzy round brushes playing with opacity and size to build the shadows. Not sure to understan the other question :/

the other was not a question, but the sequence of the insert as other details. But first I wanted to complete the mountains.
    Soon I will put new mountains retouched. Thank you very much for the advice Max

I scaled the mountains carrying a small mountain range for demonstration. I also shaded the walls of the mountains ... but I do not know if I did a good job ....
    I also added some river .... now I have to enter the forests and do not know whether to draw one by one the plants or use the clone stamp ..... what do you recommend?

Name:	testA-3.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	56215

I added a test for the forest and it seems to me that not so bad, I'm expanding the mountain range and I somulato the main streets with a dotted line. All tips are welcome ...

Name:	testB-3.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	56229

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Looking really good so far! The trees and mountains fit together very well. I don't have any tips, just keep going

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast