Thread: Modulable Dungeon Project - WIP.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Default Modulable Dungeon Project - WIP.

Hello guys.

First of all a bit of explanation on my newest project (it was on the back of my head for a while, but kept getting delayed by other projects).

I have done a small number of battlemaps by now, but these have a problem: they are a bit static. The layout can't change from one to the others and that limits their usefulness, re-usefulness...

On the other hand, I really like the idea of the dungeon tiles such as the ones WOC puts out from time to time... These are nice and pretty and can be re-arranged and combined in a number of way. The problem I found when tryting to used them is that they are so damn small. Any scenaries big enough to accomodate a parties takes five good minutes to put in place, slowing the game considerably. I always end up simply drawing the area on a erasable battlemat.

At this point, I wanted to try to combine the two approaches: several big maps, that takes seconds to set down and can host a handful of encounters but in the same style so that they can be re-arranged and re-used by the DM to suit his own dungeon plan (as best as possible, these are still not as modulable than dungeon tiles). Ideally, would-be DM could print the maps and use them to construct their own dungeons...

Here is what I came up so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modulable Dungeon- Dead end small room.png 
Views:	8998 
Size:	395.5 KB 
ID:	56019

Name:	Modulable Dungeon- Dead end unfinished.png 
Views:	3935 
Size:	229.7 KB 
ID:	56020

Name:	Modulable Dungeon- Embranchment.png 
Views:	255 
Size:	967.8 KB 
ID:	56021

Name:	Modulable Dungeon- Medium Tomb area.png 
Views:	295 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	56022

Name:	Modulable Dungeon- Royal Tomb.png 
Views:	250 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	56023

Name:	Modulable Dungeon- Small Tomb area.png 
Views:	287 
Size:	1,017.8 KB 
ID:	56024

Name:	Modulable Dungeon- Stairs and entrance room.png 
Views:	8428 
Size:	493.4 KB 
ID:	56026

Now; I feel guilty because it's all look so bland, simple and basic. But that's part of the point. If I put dungeon dressing, the rooms will lose their genericity...
    Well, to be more exact, I plan to dress at least some of these (using, as usual, the most exellent furnitures from the Dundjinni forums), hopefully to serve different functions but I will always also post the naked version so that interested people can repurpose it for their own dungeons...

You might also noticed from the names of the files the biggest of these are designed as "tombs". It is because my next project will be to redesign the "Tomb of Queen Peregrine" from "Fane of the Drow" (I already rewrote it as a 5th Level Pathfinder adventure). The adventure is nice but I found the last map to be very lackluster (it was probably designed firstly as a location for their mini game and don't really work, I feel, for a RPG).

Now, I am also planning on adding several more rooms. For example, a simple stair that leads to a corridor, without a room in-between. A couple of simple corridors, T and Y intersections and a small circular room. Presumably a room that meet a natural cavern (a bit like the unfinished corridor) but the natural cavern continues on...
    As far as bigger rooms are concerned, I'd like to make a fortified entry, with arrow slits on both sides. A small amphiteater/arena and a bridge over a chasm...

Presumably; more ideas will pop-up and I'd like to continue this thread and this project over a long run, slowly adding more maps.
    As always; comments and critics are activelly seeked for. Suggestions for rooms are too...
    Last edited by Simon33600; 07-13-2013 at 06:48 AM.