Thread: [Fantasy] Wine Cellar Reversible Map

Guild Member

Default [Fantasy] Wine Cellar Reversible Map

Hello, I'm new to the forums and wanted to show a project we've been working on that we're very proud of. This is the first map we consider "Finished" in a series, that is designed as part of a map bundle.

There is not a WIP thread.

Our idea is to create reversible, modular maps, that can be used in any tabletop roleplaying setting.

We design these maps in pairs on 11x17 paper.

Here's what i mean by 'reversible'.

Wine Cellar 01 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	THWine-Cellar-2.jpg 
Views:	2887 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	56033 and Wine Cellar 02 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	THWine-Cellar-1.jpg 
Views:	19574 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	56034

From here, you can orient them two different ways, like such:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	THcellarlayout1.jpeg 
Views:	12507 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	56032 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	THcellarlayout2.jpeg 
Views:	11148 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	56031

To make these, we create a basic layout, and begin filling them in with details. Then we mirror the design and snap it to the edge of itself, and create guidelines. Then we move and adjust the map according to these guidelines so we know that the map will be reversible. From there, we begin the brainstorming process, trying to decide what (new) interesting way we can create two very different layouts. In this case, we went with a winding layout, and a large open layout. There are only so many layout breakdowns, after all, though with a lot of thought we've come up with a decent amount that should work in theory. It's important to use that each map be useful in as many scenarios as possible. It should neither be too plain, nor too specific. If you could encounter this Cellar in many different roleplaying adventures, then we've accomplished our primary goal.

We added common doorway points, so we could string multiple of these maps together and make even larger scenes. Then, we used illustrator to shade in effects, glows, and lightning. It took some work, but we're really happy with the result.

We plan to make a large series of these maps, but this is the only one completed yet. There's a kickstarter if anyone is interested. We've been backed, so I can't forsee anything stopping us from making many more of these in the same manner, and I'll keep you all posted with the progress.

If you guys really like it or have any more questions, let me know.

And here's a final picture of us playing on our map =D

Name:	Wine Cellar Preview.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	56035

-Josh

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected TempyTheCleric's Avatar

This is a very beautiful done map and i do love the idea of your project! i wish you the best of luck and cannot wait to see more of what you do

This looks very nice, I think your approach for a more modular battle map was a good choice. Lovely work, and have a bit of rep!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Apprentice

Very nice project!! Do you have a list of additional maps that you're planning? I'll check out your Kickstarter

Guild Member

Here's the Square Grid version. we actually broke some new ground with this. we started by layering both the Hex and Square Grid onto the map. This let us then move our position for each of the doors and walkways to places where both types of grid line up naturally.

After that, we moved our objects slightly, to better fit into places where they conflict with neither grid type.

Lastly, we saved it into two different files, and manually adjusted each of those maps individually, so that the hex and grid versions are very slightly different, you don't notice the alterations, but each fits it's own overlay more properly.

Name:	WineCellar-SquareGrid.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	56088

Great lighting - looks like a really great map, and I'm impressed with your system for having the two-types of grid on the same map.

Guild Member

Thank you very much! We didn't intend to do all this, but when it came time to export the alternate grid, we just found ourselves unable to cut these corners. They're too important, and if we just solve this problem now it'll be easier forever, and a much cleaner map system overall.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I also think the modular sytsme of the maps is nice to be more flexible in the use of those maps.

Guild Member

Oh, and we've just recruited your very own Schwarzkreuz to join us on this project! Gooooo maps!

Guild Member

Our "Finished Map" just got .... "Finishedier"

Name:	NewOld-Layout1.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	219.7 KB 
ID:	56239 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewOld-Layout2.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	56240

We've added all new hand-drawn textures to this (and our other) maps.