Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land map - Fantasy

Default Land map - Fantasy

Hello - the map is for a Fantasy series - Mage in Time - in the Tales of Chance the Mage books. The only drawback I can think of is that the pieces of land quilted together are from other people's images. The Photoshop trap. I think it has all the basics.
    Regards,
    Gary
    Attachment 56044
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LAAT-PROTECTORATE-75pc-w.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	488.1 KB 
ID:	56040  
    Last edited by gwiley; 07-13-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling - always spelling!

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

I think this map suffers from several issues. The labeling is not really convincing, the strong outlines don't really work IMO (the font itself is a matter of taste, I guess).
    The bigger problem, however, is that you have regions on the map which are very blurred and are in stark contrast to others that are rather crisp - this should be revised completely.
    The way how the rivers flow into the sea/bay? isn't too pretty, either.

The map as it is now looks like a patchwork - quick made without any eye for details.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but I don't come to a better rating.
    Last edited by Sapiento; 07-13-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Not at all - your criticism is well stated and thoughtful. Thank you for thinking on it and posting.
    Regards,
    Gary

I like to try images/maps from another's point of view - so I worked on the map thinking of the things you did not care for. and so - attached.
    Regards,
    Gary
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LaatProtectorate-ver2.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	307.4 KB 
ID:	56101

And, to finish this thread, another using the same graphic approach but 'slicker' this and that.
    Regards,
    Gary
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	central-west-isle.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	399.1 KB 
ID:	56125

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I can only concur with Sapiento on this. It's only looks like a rushed patchwork of textures/photos /effects/colors that have a strong lack of consistence.

I won't really comment on the map since I have not really done one to the end.
    But there is one thing you said about using others images. Just make sure you have the right to use them, especially if it's for commercial purposes. You will avoid potential problems and it's more honest that way.

Some of you textures have high detail while other are stretched and that dosen't blend well. In general, you need some transition between the different zone too.
    As for the font, the color bothers me. Red is not a good choice and the other colors, well it depend. You need to improve the consistency there too.

If you want to keep that style and improve it you can look here for ideas http://www.cartographersguild.com/co...oned-maps.html
    here in particular http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/Temp/CG/Th...appedTiles.png
    and here http://www.cartographersguild.com/at...tory-map1a.jpg

or search on the forum and you will probably find someone that has a similar style

Good points - thank you. I agree - red is a last choice - but I opted for it because I wanted the places where castles / holds are located to stand out. The map is tied to a series of episodes so it is almost 'quick reference' for a reader. With such a type of map, I combine over-emphasis layered on landsat images. In those, changes of ground type is sometimes abrupt and sometimes a blending. I am only just learning that. The style of this map is 'Get across what is where and located where from what - where is the action.'

Thank you for the reference urls - many thanks. I've done some wandering through the maps on this site. Keeping in mind that maps are linked to some story - the various styles are very interesting. The styles are very expressive of the mood of a story.

Stretched vs high detail - I need to be more careful on that. In photoshop, it can become a massive file. And it has to loadable to a website. But, you are correct on that.

Regards,
    Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast