6 26.09%
  • Everything by Waldronate

4 17.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June/July '13 VOTING: Alternate History

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default June/July '13 VOTING: Alternate History

Well, not a huge turnout this month, but the entries we did have were great. This month's challenge was to come up with a map that related in some way to the concept of alternate history.

When voting, remember that you can vote for as many entries as you like, but keep in mind that we do have to select a winner. Voting will be open for 4 days, at the end of which the winner will receive a glorious, magical silver compass that will fulfill all your fondest desires. Or possibly just look cool under your name.

June/July Lite Challenge Thumbs

Please rep those entries you feel deserve some love.

Lingon,

I can't re-rep you right now, so here's a virtual rep and an "attaboy" for an excellently drawn and detailed map and a plausible history.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Thanks, Will! I can't rep you either, so for you I have a virtual taco for an extremely realistic Mexico map that looks like it's directly out of a history book. That, and a vote!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Imaginative, eye attractive, clever use of composition, great alternate setting, my vote went to....Waldronate ftw!

* on a more serious note, WIIP -nice effort on the setting/map and would have been better with some light weathered paper texture, and Lingon - nice map overall even if I really dislike the watercolored frame, will have some rep, at least when I'll be able to spread it *
    Last edited by - Max -; 07-14-2013 at 05:58 AM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Waldornate and Lingon got my vote. Two very different approaches and I like Waldronates Idea.

Guild Apprentice

I knew from the start that I wouldn't have chance against Lingon's and WillP's beautiful maps or Waldornate's brilliant idea, but as we germans say for the Olympic Games: "Dabei sein ist alles."

Well done, all of you, whoever will win in the end!
    Conversation at university while writing our group report:
    "I'll make a map." - "We don't need a map, we only interviewed some people." - " I know, but it won't stop me from making one."

Lingon's for sheer mappy excellence *and* a delightful story line.

Three others I'd have voted for if it wouldn't have made my voting nearly pointless :-). 1806 is deftly imagined, Niall - wonderfully clear, if simple. Simple is GOOD in the right situation, and this would suit a novel's endpapers-map nicely. The North American Front too is an imaginative feat, WillP. I don't quite buy the extent Mexico succeeds, BUT I can see with some carefull storytelling I could be convinced - certainly enough to suspend disbelief to enjoy a book or movie :-). Hey, I just saw Pacific Rim today ... suspension of disbelief for the greater good is still bubbling up. And then 1359, Lezales - I have a soft spot for raised water levels - I spent months once with a 1:250k (?) SE USA quad coloring in the valley of the Tennessee River *IF* one blocked the gorge below Chattanooga. Funsies. And drowning part of Europe does so nicely shuffle powers and potentials around - well done!

Mine feels incomplete 'cause I *wanted* to do more, but at least as is it tells PaRt of a story. Sentient Saurians and Sorta-Humans coexisting (Not).... should have been an, ahem, killer historical sketch. The font by the way *is* a bit too illegible if the map was to be actually used by anyone. As 'tis though, one-off, one-shot, fire-and-forget... it seemed about right.

Lingon, it looks like you will have this completely wrapped up shortly. Let me be the first to congratulate you on a map very well done.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Congrats, Lingon! Your silver compass is on the way.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Thanks for the votes, guys! And thanks Diamond, Arsheesh, Leen, WillP, Jbgibson, Caenwyr, Max, Rdanhenry, and Freehand 5.5 for your feedback and support!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast