Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 29] Mythkhardia

Guild Journeyer

some more mucking about - trying out some pollution from the land into the sea and some work on the coast line.

the idea being the land is so plauged it will try and infect other areas by what ever means it can

done by masking off the sea, adding some colours and the smudge tool
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mythkhardia_17_10_08b.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	807.2 KB 
ID:	7186  

Quote Originally Posted by jezelf View Post
    some more mucking about - trying out some pollution from the land into the sea and some work on the coast line.

the idea being the land is so plauged it will try and infect other areas by what ever means it can

done by masking off the sea, adding some colours and the smudge tool

Smudge tool ROCKS!!! I love smudge tool.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Smudge tool ROCKS!!! I love smudge tool.
    Oh yea.. Masks ROCK too....
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    ...and using the smudge tool on a mask REALLY ROCKS...

(sorry, couldn't resist...)

-Rob A>
    That it does.... now.. we just have to get people to start using masks and the smudge tool...

Did I mention that I am working on a tutorial for using Layer Masks in GIMP and Del is following up with one on Layer Masks in PS? The two are complimentary in an effort to get people to start really thinking about what layer masks are for(err.. masking things) and when you should use them (most of the time), regardless of which software you use.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Good gods! Masks and the smudge tool too??

I can already smell the brain cells starting to fry.

Oh yeah, by the way, that map looks great - very polluted.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Good gods! Masks and the smudge tool too??

I can already smell the brain cells starting to fry.

Oh yeah, by the way, that map looks great - very polluted.

Ergggg... you screwed me up with the new Avatar there....

No.... no brain cells need to die... It really is simple.... just go take a look at the tutorials..... Pretty much(but not all) anything can use on a regular layer, you an use on a layer mask. This includes the smudge tool. This is a great way to get some selective blending without using a layer mask wide Gaussian Blur. For example, you would in Torqs current map, if he used a sand layer with a layer mask, you would not want to use a layermask Gaussian Blur since then the sand would be lightly covering the tops of the walls of the buildings (and thus you loose the hard edge of the building shape. Using the smudge tool allows you to "draw" some of the color out manually where you need to. Of course, you could just paint brush some white (to allow the sand to show through),varying the opacity of the brush(but this is a huge pain without a pressure sensitive tablet), where as the smudge tool can accomplish this fairly easy after a bit of playing with the rate. Of course, you could also use a B/W gradient with a pixel fade also.... Of course.... I jusst like the smudge tool.. so would just use that instead of trying to think of other ways to do it....
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yeah I know, I'm going to put an effort into figuring out the whole mask thing, I did it once before when I tried to learn FLASH years ago. I can do it again...I was just being a smarty-pants.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Guild Journeyer

hi

yeah the smudge tool can be used and abused. Actually looking at that pic I attached eariler I think I went over the top myself as it's a bit too much black, so I'll tone it down a bit.

You can also use the smudge tool to help create your height maps. For example, if you are doing your mountain range you can smudge the bases of them outwards. Further more, if you paint some darker dots there and then smudge you can quickly help add errosion.

Also try using different brushes when you smudge - speckled, flat, feathered etc. which can get different effects.

I sometimes also use the smudge tool on hard pixels when I don't want to blur them. Also adjust the strength to suit your needs if you're finding it the right effect, but too much.

Masks are great and I use them all the time in both the layers and chanels palette - they help gve you more control over various areas of your work. I generally use them to isolate areas to work on, and if used to create a selection I also use that to make a stroke.

If you find you copy layers and delete stuff from them, rather than delete, you can add a quick mask in the layers palette and using black, paint in the mask and it'll be like you're deleting. The good thing is that you're not destroying the copied version in the process and you can bring back areas by painting back over in the black areas in white - if you deleted you can get that back.

Guild Journeyer

Tweaked around a bit with this and that. exaggerated some shadows etc. I might flattern some areas out. was thinking of adding some sulphur lakes. the terrain reminds me of a trek I once did in New Zealand - same as this guys shows in his blog - http://www.travelblog.org/Oceania/Ne...og-111024.html

The sulphur lakes looked clean, but stunk like stink bombs -well, like sulphur :-) - so I might put an area or a dozen lakes or so in like that. Perhaps around the middle left mountain. I also like the spearhead ridge that's appeared now on the middle right. I'll probably put a fort or something on the top overlooking the river and sea below.

Still troubles with the highlights on the coast line. Overall a bunch of stuff is bugging me, but getting there - see if I can work on it a bit more after work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mythkhardia_20_10_08.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	836.2 KB 
ID:	7223  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast