Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 20] Riverlands

Post [Region 1][Map 20] Riverlands

Well, I decided to use RobA's tutorial to quickly have something. Now my neighbors can start matching, or tell me what to change

I have some of the area around my region as well, but that's just so that I can add some of their features as well (all cities are in my area though)

Someone please give me criticism, I think it's an ok start, but I definitely want to change it, everywhere, a lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	startof20.jpg 
Views:	1325 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	2998  
    Last edited by Airith; 04-05-2008 at 02:54 PM.
    And our time is flyin', see the candle burnin' low
    Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old
    ~The Rover - Led Zeppelin

Just a general thing: with that much rivers in the area (at least, it seems much to me), wouldn't it be more likely that there are more towns along the rivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Baziron View Post
    Just a general thing: with that much rivers in the area (at least, it seems much to me), wouldn't it be more likely that there are more towns along the rivers?
    I used the rivers from the original map that NeonKnight provided, it's now in the World Pictures thread.

I was about to remove some towns, but I guess it is like 600 miles... There should be a lot more towns then. I used too small of a picture, maybe I should redo it... Or just add more towns?

Airith - I think that you need to up the size of your picture. And, yes, I believe that there would be more towns in a region that size. Unless, of course, there is a specific reason for there not to be.

I dont think the number of towns should be determined exclusively by the size of the area. Bear in mind there are plague lands over the Northern mountains which may be a very good reason why the area could have become less populated. Another alternative is poverty and its effects which are often to cause people to migrate to urban centres resulting in urban sprawl and depopulation in rural areas. (This is something that happened in my own country in the 60s and 70s and is largely responsible for the depopulation of many areas.)

Airith, you may want have look at the rivers. At the moment they are slightly transparent and show the underlying land elevations. They may look better in the sens of standing out more, if you make them "flat" and independent of the land roughness. Another option is RobA's method of making a hidden layer with the rivers as black against a white background, then applying a gaussian blur to them. Then you use this layer as a bump map under your rivers. This creates the image of depressions through which the rivers run and can be very effective. Just an idea.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

If he does abandon towns, then the map should feature at least some of those - most closer to the plaguelands.

And I simply thought that rivers, being both a water supply and a fast/safe way of travelling (not so fast going up), would make for ideal refugee locations.

I agree Baziron. The rivers would seem to be the logical places for people to gather in that region. They might even be the lifeblood of its economy.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by The Cartographist View Post
    Airith - I think that you need to up the size of your picture. And, yes, I believe that there would be more towns in a region that size. Unless, of course, there is a specific reason for there not to be.
    I restarted with a 1400 sized one, so hopefully that's enough. I'm not quite sure how to do the scale, everyone's should be similar (I think?) but I can't grasp whether I'm putting a sprawling metropolis over a massive area, or just a city .
    Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Airith, you may want have look at the rivers. At the moment they are slightly transparent and show the underlying land elevations. They may look better in the sens of standing out more, if you make them "flat" and independent of the land roughness. Another option is RobA's method of making a hidden layer with the rivers as black against a white background, then applying a gaussian blur to them. Then you use this layer as a bump map under your rivers. This creates the image of depressions through which the rivers run and can be very effective. Just an idea.

Torq
    I got it from the tutorial, but I'm going to have a go and try to see if I can make it work by myself... Probably using what you just said though :X

Also, I was thinking that the North would be depopulated, but I might add a few abandoned or at least ruins, it is really near the plagueland center.

Hey, look on the bright side. All those abandoned towns, villages and cities are adventure magnets. Who knows what's living there now. And of course someone left a treasure.

There's a woman who rode a motorcycle through the area abandoned after Czernobyl. Well, maybe... but the pictures are interesting.

"All those abandoned towns, villages and cities are adventure magnets. Who knows what's living there now. And of course someone left a treasure." - su_liam

Hmm, do you know where I can get some symbols for that? Mostly I just want some city symbols, but really I only have found one so far. That goes for anyone who knows where to get some city, or similar, symbols. PLEASE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast