Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Region 1][Map 29] Mythkhardia

Guild Journeyer

Some more mucking about at lunch time.

put in some sulphur lakes and gave the land some brusin' at an attempt to indicate poor old mother earth an't too well in these parts - wanted to work on a bit of mood rather than have the need to write 'plagued lands' all over it - so you get an idea venturing here might not be such a good idea.

Smeared the coast line a bit to try and get some beach but not happy with that - I'll need to look at some reference. Blue rivers need some work.

Not sure about this progress. I'll have another dabble tomorrow. Might pull back some of this as I feel I’m overworking a bit. Definitely don't like the smear coast stuff, but I didn't like the hard pixels either.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mythkhardia_21_10_08.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	829.1 KB 
ID:	7242  

Jezelf, I think the coastline looks very good. I love the smudged plague-like effect and the sense that the water is becoming fouled. I dont think you should give up on that idea.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree with Torq.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

some more minor changes.

brought back in some rivers albeit purple in places (to make it look like veins on a bruise) , added a bit more contrast on the central area to give some variation is geology and lightedn the sea at the top to meet my neighbour there better.

Probably almost done for this part and will start adding place names etc next.

Name:	Mythkhardia_22_10_08.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	988.4 KB 
ID:	7259  

Looking very -- I was going to say 'nice,' but plague lands aren't really nice, are they? So... It's looking very dire. In a good way. Heh.

Guild Journeyer

Thank for the feedback, folks!

Here's the latest - Just put map area, city and town/village names down. I found myself sitting around for at least 30 minutes trying to come up with names and thought about trying out an idea: Put the map area name into an online anagram generator. I used Andy's anagram solver and then used the results to make names up by mixing up bits here and there. It means the place names have some relation to the region. My other method used before is to think of fictional surnames and features on the land, but it just takes longer to pick them out of thin air. I try not to use real place names.

Also been reading through some of the texts on East Groam - CWBP and trying to illustrate some of that there with the abandoned places faded out and in another colour to the more 'healthier' places. Also to include some established places along the "mountain strongholds where they are better suited to defend themselves against the sufferers of the plague" - all the places starting with "A" - Imagined in the local language it would be like 'New-' e.g: York ---> New York & England ---> New England. you get the idea.

next step is to put in names for the sea, rivers and landscape features and then it's done. If anyone already has ideas for these - or if my naming is not set with any convention I may have missed I can easily change them. Feel free to doodle over a previous post of the map to illustrate where you would like changes. Not sure about putting in trails and roads for this one - depends if they are a requirement, seems like there's a mixture on the other finished tiles - I might, dunno - what do you think? In any case I hope to be done before the weekend is over.

Hope you like.
    Cheers
    Jez

Name:	Mythkhardia_25_10_08.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	7358  

Guild Journeyer

FINAL IMAGE

Here it is - hope it's OK. This map has helped move my skills further along a bit, a few other things learnt. Look forward to doing another.

Cheers for giving me a shot.

jez

Name:	CWBP_R1_M29_Mythkhardia.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	7366  
    Last edited by jezelf; 10-25-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: tweaked the map - indicated suitable terrian for swamplands

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very nice Jezelf!

Love the watermark-like 'Mythkardia' that curves across the map.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

cheers.

Yeah I like how the area name came out. On my Buncklebury map it was a filled black with the opacity turned down which felt too dominant this time. I actually tried a displacement map using the grey scale height map first, but it didn't come across very well - I might find a way to use a displacement map on the next one - boundary lines sounds like a good reason - if there any to be added to this map I'll try it out.

ta
    jez
    Last edited by jezelf; 10-25-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo

Excellent work Jezelf. A great addition to the ever-growing compendium of work that the CWBP is becoming.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast