Thread: historian, mapping the magical and sinister

Default historian, mapping the magical and sinister

Thrilled to be a part of this group and desperately want to learn how to create maps. As a professional historian, I've spent much of my life studying maps and working from them in my research, mostly maps from Africa dating from the late 15th to early 20th centuries. I've had professional cartographers/artists create maps for me for books. I love the artistic stuff and what I see here is incredibly creative and beautiful. Right now I want to map a little gravesite for a book coming out, for my next project a small slave trading fort in West Africa, and in the not too distant future a palace in Central Africa. I joined on June 9th but just got started last night by downloading gimp. I have my work cut out for me! I am so lost I don't know how to get started.

Welcome to the Guild Nji! Well you have come to the right place to develop those artistic skills. There are some really good tutorials for GIMP in the Tutorials section so that ought to be your first stop. Once you have gone through a tutorial and would like to begin, create a WIP page to show early pics of your project. Be sure to ask for feedback. This is a good way to pick up new tricks and tips of the craft. Here's wishing you success in your quest.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected TempyTheCleric's Avatar

welcome Nji! Just like Arsheesh said there are some great tutorials for gimp! May i brag for him and say that the tutorials Arsheesh has made are beautiful and incredibly helpful! I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and cant wait to see some of the work you put out!