Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected TempyTheCleric's Avatar

Map The Kingdom of Ashen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ashen-Completed.png 
Views:	310 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	56080

Hello everyone!

This is my completed first map project! The Kingdom of Ashen.

I was so excited to finally get something out of my mind and created! I just wanted to thank everyone for their comments on my WIP as well as for the great tutorials that helped me.

As with all the maps i dare to create, they are inspired by or help me to inspire my writing. This was originally for a story of my called Luminaries, however it's kinda grown into a beast of its own. So who knows where i'll take this map next!

Here is the link to the W.I.P

Nice job on this Miranda. One minor critique is that the shallow water glow you have going on seems to cut off abruptly underneath the Adama islands.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hm... strange... the rep went out, but my previous post seems to have got eaten by the internet.

I really like your idea of making the dots for the road of different size. Fits the map to, err, a dot!

Congrats on your first finished project, Miranda I don't think the forum will let me rep you again so soon (have to spread it around a little first), but have a "like".

Maybe it's just my screen, but the map is a bit dark. I think it could benefit from an overall brightening of the colors.
    As i already said, i like the continent shape.

You said the map is for a story of yours? Care to tell us a bit about it?
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Thats good to finish maps up. What comes next?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Pretty good for your first finished map. Though I concur with Eilathen about the overall map being too dark. Also labels would need more work to be clearly readable. For instance why using black font with a white outerglow on a dark map when you could use a light color font instead? ). The labels on the right of the map looks stucked against the border so I'd have expand the map a bit to give it more room and better composition balance.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected TempyTheCleric's Avatar

So for now I'm done with this map! I'm creatively burnt out. If i revisit this ill take in all your suggestions! Thank you for the tips!

@Arsheesh - you know i have been putting off fixing that and i thought i would get it before i posted my final and i guess i just forgot! Thanks for reminding me

@Eilathen - essentially I'm trying to combine a fantasy adventure with a dramatic tragedy fulled by the sun and moon dying off.

@Schwarzkreuz - well i started another project The Privince of Urne - which was the original continent name for this story. I guess im just going to play around with map making untill im ready to stop. Maybe when i get better or feel like im better ill do monthly challenges!

@Max - yes it does look dark, ill fix it one day and thank you for the labeling tip!

Congratulations on finishing your first map Miranda! I really like it, I think the mountains are my favourite part of it^^, they make the map so much more interesting to look at. I'm looking forward to seeing where your next project takes you.