Thread: [WIP] my second map

Guild Novice

Wip [WIP] my second map

so i recently posted the first map i created, knowing that it had it flaws, and i figured i might as well start a new one while the things i had to work on were still fresh in my mind. As it is I've only got a few general layouts of continents made up. I'm not a fan of only doing one option at the start so i ended up drawing three last night cause i just couldn't fall asleep.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layout 1.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	360.7 KB 
ID:	56126 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layout 2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	364.7 KB 
ID:	56127 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	layout 3.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	349.1 KB 
ID:	56128
    I haven't yet decided which I'm going to use or if ill use a combination of all of them.
    And if anyone sees anything odd about them please feel free to point it out.
    (actually looking at post preview the third kinda reminds me of a seahorse)

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected TempyTheCleric's Avatar

I think the center one has the most potential, i would remove the larger island, or all of the islands on the right side of the main continent. Just so you have some nice 'negative' space. Also the connection between the two continents should (in my opinion) be made either more defined or become tapered off (note the tale of alaska for an example). Lastly you could make that cove like indent on the left of the continent bigger to have a more secluded and large gulf.

Thats just my opinions! Do with them as you wish hope it helps

Guild Novice

I was think along the same lines with the middle map having the most promise. and i reworked it a little yesterday

Name:	layout 4.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	360.2 KB 
ID:	56167
    though is some areas i think i went the opposite direction i tried to give the connected area some more definition. but I'm not really sure about it, i really like the idea of it being connected but i just keep thinking somethings off about it. if someone could point out what it is or tell me if I'm just over thinking it id really appreciate it.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I like that last one. Is it the connection in particular that you think looks off? I don't see anything wrong with it, but I guess it depends on what sort of terrain you are planning it to have. Personally, I'd either widen the land bridge a lot, maybe remove the western gulf entirely, or remove it and create a narrow passage between the seas – but not for any geological reason, just because I think I'd prefer the look, so if you want a really thin land bridge you should definitely keep it as it is

I do think moving the northeastern island a little bit south would improve the map, though. That or expanding the map northwards. The island almost tangents the edge as it is, which from an artistic perspective isn't optimal.

Finally, just a thought: have you considered viewing the map as black=land? That's actually how I thought it was first. Then, if you want that land bridge, you can expand (what is now) the eastern peninsula on the western continent so it connects to the other shore. Something about that layout appeals more to me than when white=land, but it's just a matter of taste (or something) so do what feels right

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected TempyTheCleric's Avatar

Oh my goodness you will have to forgive me, i have been staring at height maps for so long that i just ASSUMED that black was water and white was land.... now i feel silly but i have to ask... Which color represents what in YOUR eyes?

Guild Novice

I have been viewing it as white is land just from all the tutorials that i have see view it that way, but i have noticed that the black as land looks like it could have nice land masses. And the more i look at i think its just the actual coastline that's bugging me, i have yet to go in and rough it up, maybe apply Oldguy's coastline method. I think that might solve some of what I'm seeing. And I've been playing around with that island placement on the northeast of the map i'll post a picture of a new placement after i finish the coastlines and placing some of the really small islands that would be normally occurring.
    Last edited by jimmydean; 07-18-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Guild Novice

i tinkered with the coastlines again roughing them up and then applied oldguys method of coastlines. I tried something new for the initial roughing of the coast but i don't know if i like how it turned out.

Name:	coastline oldguy's.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	418.2 KB 
ID:	56219

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Turned out great! Looks a bit like fiords, at least if it's a small scale map. I like the new island placement too!

Guild Novice

I finally managed to carve out some time this week to work on the map again and even then not much. as it is a modified the coastlines and added much more small islands to the map almost to the point where I'm thinking that i might have overdone it, as always comments and critiques are appreciated.

Name:	cg upload for island coastlines copy.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	314.2 KB 
ID:	57123
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails landmass w islands plain.psd  

Guild Novice

I manage to organize some more time and figured that for what time i have I'm going to narrow my goals for the time being and slowly work up to the who thing. With that in mind i threw together a general layout of how i think i want the island in the top right corner of the map to be, not a final draft, just a layout with textures for a more refined completion. As always comments and critiques are welcome.

Name:	island jpeg.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	426.1 KB 
ID:	58271
    (I have a break from school this weekend and plan to layout where i think rivers and lakes should go so any comments on those would be greatly appreciated.)