Thread: July 2013 Entry - Artemis Fowl

Guild Apprentice

Default July 2013 Entry - Artemis Fowl

Jumping into the challenge in the middle of the month...

Anyway, my goal is to map Fowl Manor, the residence of the Fowl Dynasty. Artemis Fowl is a serie of books by Eoin Colfer for kids (wikipedia, but i just love it!

I recently wanted to do some isometric maps, and also finaly a map of a building, so i figured it would be a good possibility to give it a try. Any tipps in advance?

Technic will be ink + pen, maybe (probably) some decent colors.
    The map itself will be divided: one part will be (probably) a top down view of the whole estate of the fowls (80 hectare, but it will be small), another part will be the Fowl Manor itself, a old, often renovated castle from the 15th century, standing in the north of Dublin, viewed from the front/side (isometric), and the rest will be a detailed plan of the different levels.
    Sounds biiiig.

I have nothing to show you yet, but i've done some research in irish architecture as well in the books, writing down (almost) every sentence concerning the architecture. Here's a (incomplete, since i haven't read all 8 books) list of my knowing of the building:
    -it has a castellated wall, 5 meters thick with watch towers
    -there are lots of trees just by the side of the house, even a pond
    -there is a shed with a Cessna in it
    -a big part is the main hall/entrance hall, with a high ceiling
    -the office of Artemis Fowl, with lots of stuff in it
    -Bedroom for some people
    - a long conference room with gotic arches
    -kitchen
    -command center
    -a Dojo, wine cellar and cell
    -a helicopter landing platform on the roof
    -and a lot of other small stuff

now off to research and drawing!

Cheerio, leen

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I've been meaning to read those books for a while; it'll be nice to get a preview.

Guild Apprentice

I'm really looking forward to see the map! Artemis Fowl has always been one of my favourite series, and still is... Screw that "it's for children"

Some things I think also are in the manor:
    - Butler's rooms (of course with a huge armoury)
    - Some Cars and space to store them!
    - Depending on the depicted time: Angeline's sickroom, Holly's prison

Can't think of more, I've GOT to read the books once again!
    Conversation at university while writing our group report:
    "I'll make a map." - "We don't need a map, we only interviewed some people." - " I know, but it won't stop me from making one."

Guild Apprentice

Niall Mackay, you're absolutly right! it's abook for everyone, and those rooms you mentioned won't be forgotten
    Diamond, they're really worth to be read!!

I haven't drew much, but extended my research on irish Castles and Manors etc. with a visit at the library, and came home with 4 books about this. I didn't knew that there were so many so big and rich houses in ireland. Most of them are from the 18th and 19th century though, but it will help my still for the interior for example. the biggest difficulty is the coexistence of the old buidling structure and the modern use, also i guess the Fowls would do a lot of alterations over the centuries, so it's a mix of all kind of styles. Here's a quick sketch of the floor layout of the north wing, but its not fixed yet - but i'm happy how most of the things turned out.

Hope to sketch the south wing too today, so that i have th footprint of the building. I probably will make a really rough model in blender, just to see if the stuff that i draw make sense I know, maybe sketchup would be better & faster, but i feel more confident in blender...

Sorry for the crappy picture, i only got my phone wih me...
    ### latest wip ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-07-18 15.43.17.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	916.8 KB 
ID:	56201
    Last edited by leen; 07-18-2013 at 10:20 AM.

Guild Apprentice

1st Floor plan is almost done. Actually it lacks some details, and it's not yet the final form, speaking it's not yet isometric... Still a lot of work.
    the 2nd Floor is still a sketch, and the house itself also:

Name:	HouseSketch.jpg 
Views:	997 
Size:	314.3 KB 
ID:	56253
    ### latest wip ###

Name:	1stFloorscankl.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	56254

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Looking really good so far. Keep it up!

Guild Apprentice

Thanks, Diamond!
    I've slightly changed my plans for this map: i won't do the floorplans isometrical(*), they will stay top-down view. instead i will concentrate on the whole Fowl Manor Area.
    The final piece will be the map of the area of Fowl Manor, with the floorplans in the bottom half of the image. BTW the 2nd Floor is already done, i will attach it to this post when i'm home.
    EDIT: here it is:

Name:	2ndFloorscankl.jpg 
Views:	902 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	56336

this is only a sketch to try some things out, but it will be something like this. EDIT: the following picture is meant, of course

(*)the reasons are 1) i don't how to do it, and it would cost a lot of (already had cost some) time to try everything out, which leads to 2) i don't have time for that

anyway...
    ### latest wip ###

Name:	FowlManor.jpeg 
Views:	455 
Size:	238.4 KB 
ID:	56332
    Last edited by leen; 07-24-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Guild Apprentice

wanted to fini**** today, but several things got in between...but it was a good experience, showed me that isometric maps arent that 'easy' as i thought...and that was my main goal - to test isometric maps! i need some time to think about those isometric maps. they are very good, if you have a simple floorplan or a flat area, bur for other things, its not that useful, i think.
    anyway, i mean, i never stood a chance against those top maps...
    i hope to finish it, maybe i will make a wip thread...
    cheers, leen