Thread: Good day

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Good day

Just wanted to say "hi".

I've been reading this forum and looking at the maps for quite a while, (Long time listener, first time caller).

Finally started trying to make some of my own maps for my gaming group; and they've really liked them.
    So part of my posting here is to not only say "hello" but also "thanks" to you guys for all the tips, tutorials,
    and incredible art. (Super special thanks to Candacis, RobA, Ascension, Arsheesh, Pyrandon - I'm pretty
    sure I've used tutorials from all of them quite a bit)

~ MEF.

Welcome to the Guild MEF! Glad to here the tutorials have been useful to you, and that you decided to introduce yourself. Hope to see more of you, and your work, in the near future.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Thanks much Arsheesh,

Here's the first one I did with the tutorials. Just trying things out, seeing what works for me, and what I can figure out. Unfortunately I made a completely rookie mistake (flattening, saving that one rather than ... well you get the idea.) So, It'll probably be a bit before I come back and try to get it sorted out and up to everyone's high standards here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leogria 730.gif 
Views:	94 
Size:	526.4 KB 
ID:	56211

Still trying to flesh out the world for my gaming group, so figured start with the kingdom they were in, then a political continental map. Then come back to some of the cities (Dear god, please help me to make one half as good as the one by Max recently). THEN, go back and really flesh out the realm they'll spend most of their time in.

And the starter continental political map of the continent everyone is one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Reliquum 730.gif 
Views:	55 
Size:	302.2 KB 
ID:	56212

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey, those aren't bad at all, especially the second one. Have some rep, and welcome to the Guild.

I agree, you've done a very nice job following the tutorials.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Hello!
    Nice to meet you
    I just noticed...the first map looks vaguely like England flipped vertically...and the kingdom of Mercia is kinda in the same place

That's a really good map though. What did you use to make it?

Thank you much for the compliment.

I used gimp and the wonderful tutorials they have for it here. Pretty much just followed them step by step, trying different things to see what worked for me; and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Good learning experience too. Hopefully the next ones I do will take it up a notch.

It is inspired heavily from England - both in design as well as naming conventions. Mercia, Anglia, North Umbria.. - Wessex, Sussex, Essex - to Wesleo, Susleo, Esleo (same naming convention; just for the Leogria rather the Saxon). Everything divided in to shires and earldoms, rather than counties and duchies.

Guild Novice

Those are great maps! Good job!